- Title: SAUDI ARABIA-ISLAM HAJ/ARAFAT Pilgrims crowd Mecca on first day of Haj
- Date: 3rd October 2014
- Summary: MECCA, SAUDI ARABIA (OCTOBER 3, 2014) (REUTERS) ****WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** PILGRIMS WALKING TO AL RAHMAH MOUNTAIN VARIOUS OF SIGN POSTS TO AL RAHMAH MOUNTAIN VARIOUS OF PILGRIMS WALKING SYRIAN PILGRIM, MOA'ATH TAKING A PHOTO OF HIMSELF USING HIS MOBILE PHONE MOBILE PHONE SCREEN WITH IMAGE OF MOA'ATH ON IT (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) SYRIAN PILGRIM, MOA'ATH, SAYING: "We ask God all mighty to stop the shedding of our children's blood in Syria and unite us all and God willing, this will be a blessed month for our people." VARIOUS OF PILGRIMS AT AL-RAHMAH MOUNTAIN, PRAYING AT SUNRISE VARIOUS OF PILGRIMS IN AL-RAHMAH MOUNTAIN VARIOUS OF PILGRIM HOLDING SYRIAN OPPOSITION FLAG VARIOUS OF PILGRIMS WALKING UP AL-RAHMAH MOUNTAIN IN ARAFAT VARIOUS OF PILGRIM READING HOLY QUR'AN VARIOUS OF PILGRIM PRAYING FOR GOD'S FORGIVENESS VARIOUS OF PILGRIMS IN ARAFAT (SOUNDBITE) (English) MOHAMMED, PAKISTANI PILGRIM ,SAYING : "I think I'm the most bless person in this universe as I'm here for the big pilgrimage." VARIOUS OF PILGRIMS IN ARAFAT VARIOUS OF WOMEN PRAYING
- Embargoed: 18th October 2014 13:00
- Location: Saudi Arabia
- Country: Saudi Arabia
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVA7E6UFVDBQ01J2J9RC75ACSKVL
- Story Text: Pilgrims mark the first day of the Muslim pilgrimage of Haj in Saudi Arabia on Friday (October 3) with a journey to al-Rahmah Mountain, around Mount Arafat where the Prophet Mohammad delivered his last sermon, to pray for God's forgiveness.
A syrian pilgrim also prayed for peace in his country.
"We ask God all mighty to stop the shedding of our children's blood in Syria and unite us all and God willing, this will be a blessed month for our people," said pilgrim, Moa'ath.
The kingdom expects nearly 3 million pilgrims in Mecca for this year's Haj - one of the world's biggest displays of mass religious devotion - including 1.4 million from abroad.
The five-day Haj marks sites that Islamic tradition says the Prophet Ibrahim - biblical patriarch Abraham - visited in Mecca and that Prophet Mohammad established as a pilgrim route 14 centuries ago after removing pagan idols from Mecca.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None