- Title: SPAIN: KING FEISAL OF SAUDI ARABIA VISITS LAST ARAB STRONGHOLD IN GRANADA.
- Date: 19th June 1966
- Summary: KING FEISAL AT ALHAMBRA. Initials RGM/VS/BHH/EEH Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 4th July 1966 13:00
- Location: Granada, Spain
- Country: Spain
- Reuters ID: LVA1CCXFFNMAZUHQUCF3U2WBB2N3
- Story Text: King Feisal of Saudi Arabia, on a five-day stopover visit to Spain while on his way to the United States, yesterday (Saturday) toured the Alhambra, in Granada, last stronghold of Arabs during their occupation of Spain. King Feisal has now left Spain for America where he is to have talks on Middle East political and defence problems with the American government.
King Feisal has met General Franco during his visit, received the keys of the city of Madrid, and seen something of Seville.
The invading Moors first set foot in Spain in 711 AD and went on to hold most of the country. Gradually re-conquered, it was not until 1492 that Granada, the last stronghold of the Arabs, fell.
The Alhambra was built as a palace and castle by the Arabs and was the home of the last Arab King of Spain.
Today, it is preserved as a national monument.
On the agenda for King Feisal's talks in the United States will be the Arab-Israeli dispute, the tension between Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Republic and the future of the Arabian peninsula after Britain withdraws from its base at Aden in 1968.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None