- Title: CUBA: Harley-Davidson club show classic motorcycle
- Date: 10th February 2013
- Summary: VARADERO, MATANZAS, CUBA (FEBRUARY 9, 2013) (REUTERS) HARLEY-DAVIDSON MOTORCYCLES HARLEY-DAVIDSON FLAG AND A PICTURE OF CHE GUEVARA MOTORCYCLE VARIOUS OF HARLEY-DAVIDSON ENTHUSIASTS LOOKING AT MOTORCYCLES (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) UNIDENTIFIED HARLEY DAVIDSON ENTHUSIAST SAYING: "It is a great spectacle, very beautiful. You don't see that here. This is not usual but it is fabulous and beautiful. I hope they keep doing it." VARIOUS OF HARLEY-DAVIDSON MOTORCYCLES
- Embargoed: 25th February 2013 12:00
- Location: Cuba
- Country: Cuba
- Topics: Quirky,Technology,Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky,Transport
- Reuters ID: LVA8OQV8V7YP18F5W3Q7AA0YJA40
- Story Text: Harley owners and enthusiasts congregate at Varadero beach to see and be seen with a collection of personally maintained and loved classic Harley-Davidsons.
Dozens of Harley-Davidson motorcycle enthusiasts gathered in the Cuban resort town of Varadero for the second annual Harley-Davidson convention on Saturday (February 9).
About 100 owners from around Cuba were there to show off their motorcycles to fellow enthusiasts.
"This is not usual but it is fabulous and beautiful," said one unidentified enthusiast.
"We are getting together, sharing experiences, exchanging parts, exchanging mechanics because it is a motorcycle that has survived the very hard crisis times," said Adriana Dominguez a Harley Davidson enthusiast participating in the exhibit. "There aren't any parts because of the blockade (U.S. embargo) they won't let us bring pieces in and these handsome mechanics here and us maintain the motorcycles. The idea is not to let them deteriorate and to keep the symbol of Harley here in our hearts."
Because of the long U.S embargo, Cubans are forced to improvise because no replacement parts are commercially available for the estimated 300 Harley-Davidsons that exist on the island.
Many of the models of Harley-Davidson in Cuba date from before the Cuban Revolution in 1959.
Harley-Davidson was founded in 1903 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It has since become one of the most iconic brands of motorcycles in the world, and maintains a loyal crowd of enthusiasts through events, clubs, as well as factory tours and museums in several American states.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None