- Title: BRAZIL/FILE: Paris St Germain agree terms with Chelsea for Luiz
- Date: 23rd May 2014
- Summary: SAO PAULO, BRAZIL (MAY 20, 2014) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF LUIZ SPEAKING AT A SPONSOR'S EVENT LUIZ SPEAKING TO MEDIA IN MIXED ZONE (FROM LEFT TO RIGHT): LUIZ POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS WITH TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR MIDFIELDER PAULINHO, OSCAR AND BARCELONA DEFENDER DANIEL ALVES LUIZ / PAULINHO / OSCAR / ALVES SMILING PARIS, FRANCE (APRIL 1, 2014) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF PARC DES PRINCES PARIS ST GERMAIN LOGO SAINT-GERMAIN-EN-LAYE, FRANCE (APRIL 1, 2014) (REUTERS) PSG COACH LAURENT BLANC (RED HAT) WITH COACHING STAFF ON TRAINING PITCH PARIS ST GERMAIN'S SWEDISH STRIKER ZLATAN IBRAHIMOVIC TRAINING
- Embargoed: 7th June 2014 13:00
- Location: France
- Country: France
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVA8516PZU7JSOH0ABDZZSEZOHLH
- Story Text: French champions Paris St Germain have agreed terms with Chelsea to sign Brazil defender David Luiz, the clubs said on Friday (May 23).
"The move is now subject to David Luiz agreeing personal terms with PSG and passing a medical examination," Premier League club Chelsea said on their website (www.chelseafc.com).
British media reported that the fee for the versatile 27-year-old would be a world record for a defender of between 40 million ($67.37 million) and 50 million pounds ($84.21 million).
That would surpass the 36 million pounds Qatari-backed PSG paid for Luiz's Brazil team mate Thiago Silva in 2012 although neither club disclosed the financial terms of their agreement.
The easily recognisible Luiz, with his long and shaggy hair, joined Chelsea in January, 2011 from Benfica and helped the London side win the Champions League the following year.
($1 = 0.5938 British Pounds)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None