- Title: JERUSALEM: ISRAELI FOREIGN MINISTER DAVID LEVY RESIGNS
- Date: 6th January 1998
- Summary: JERUSALEM (JANUARY 6, 1998) (RTV) 1. VARIOUS FOREIGN MINISTRY WORKERS GATHERED IN HALL/ DAVID LEVY WALKS IN/ LEVY SHAKES HANDS WITH COLLEAGUES (5 SHOTS) 0.17 2. WS DIRECTOR GENERAL OF THE FOREIGN MINISTRY ETAN BENT-TZUR SAYS WORDS OF FAREWELL TO 0.27 OUTGOING FOREIGN MINISTER DAVID LEVY (HEBREW) 3. SV/TRACK OUTGOING FOREIGN MINISTER DAVID LEVY THANKING EMPLOYEES FOR THEIR HARD WORK SAYING: "I HAVE LOVED WORKING WITH YOU ALL, I HAVE LOVED THE MISSIONS THIS OFFICE HAS BEEN ENTRUSTED WITH, MISSIONS THAT HAVE IMPLEMENTED THE VARIOUS POLICIES OF THE ELECTED GOVERNMENT. I WANT TO THANK YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES OF THE DIPLOMATS AND AMBASSADORS WHO ARE COMMANDING LIKE ADMIRALS, COMMANDING SHIPS UNTIL THEY REACH SAFE SHORES. I WANT TO THANK YOU ALL" (HEBREW)/ FOREIGN MINISTRY EMPLOYEES AND DIPLOMATS CLAPPING FOLLOWING LEVY'S SPEECH 1.14 4. TRACK LEVY SHAKING HANDS WITH SEVERAL EMPLOYEES 1.37 5. TRACK LEVY LEAVING FOREIGN MINISTRY FOLLOWED BY CAMERA CREWS 1.43 Initials S2-3,p3 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 21st January 1998 12:00
- Location: JERUSALEM
- Country: Israel
- Reuters ID: LVA3B15DSPLT7M2LOVY3B2JW8C7R
- Story Text: - INTRO: Israeli Foreign Minister David Levy has finally resigned from his old rival Benjamin Netanyahu's cabinet in a protest over the 1998 budget.
Levy resigned from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyhau's government on Sunday (January 4) saying it was because the government failed to address the needs of low-income Israelis. His departure was also said to be aprotest against the cabinet's slow pace of peacemaking with the Palestinians.
The withdrawal of his five-member Gesher faction left Netanyahu controlling just 61 seats in the 120-seat parliament. Levy is expected to run for prime minister the next time Israelis go to the polls.
National elections are scheduled for the year 2000 but Levy's resignation has prompted some politicians and analysts to speculate a poll was just months away.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None