- Title: JAPAN: Newly wed pop diva Mariah Carey and hubby Nick Cannon arrive in Japan
- Date: 29th May 2008
- Summary: NARITA, JAPAN (MAY 26, 2008) (REUTERS) ARRIVALS BOARD AT NARITA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT CROWD OF FANS AT NARITA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT WAITING FOR MARIAH CAREY FANS SCREAMING AS MARIAH CAREY AND HUSBAND NICK CANNON WALK THROUGH THE ARRIVAL LOBBY CAREY WALKING BY AS FANS SCREAM AND TAKE PICTURES/CAREY SIGNING AUTOGRAPHS (REPORTER ASKS HOW MARRIED LIFE TOGETHER IS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) MARIAH CAREY U.S. SINGER, SAYING: "Very nice." REPORTER ASKING HOW MARRIED LIFE TOGETHER (SOUNDBITE) (English) NICK CANNON, SAYING: "Great." CAREY AND CANNON POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS REPORTER ASKING CAREY TO SHOW HER WEDDING RING CAREY SHOWING HER RING CAREY AND CANNON LEAVING ARRIVALS LOBBY OF AIRPORT CLOSE OF WEDDING CARD READING 'HAPPY WEDDING' AND 'NICK, MARIAH!!' (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) NORIKO AKIBA, 38-YEAR-OLD FEMALE JAPANESE FAN SAYING: "They were so lovey-dovey together, holding hands together. I am jealous she's got someone ten years younger than her. But it's great seeing them together nevertheless." DIGITAL CAMERA WITH PICTURES OF CAREY AND CANNON (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) ERI HIRA, 25-YEAR-OLD FEMALE JAPANESE FAN SAYING: "She seemed very happy. I just got married myself too in November so I am glad to have seen her." (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) RYOTA TAKEISHI, 26-YEAR-OLD MALE JAPANESE FAN SAYING: "Its sad. Nick and I are about the same age .. it could have been me." AKIBA, HIRA AND TAKEISHI COMPARING THEIR PHOTOS OF CAREY AND CANNON
- Embargoed: 13th June 2008 13:00
- Location: Japan
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVAEAB91V8JOTCH9S5UF9A0VPXWL
- Story Text: Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon, fresh from their honeymoon and wedding in the Bahamas earlier this month, made their first overseas appearance together as a couple on Monday (May 26).
Arriving in Japan ahead of the MTV Japan awards, 38-year-old Carey and 27-year-old Cannon walked hand in hand amongst their screaming and devoted Japanese fans at Narita International Airport.
Showing off her wedding ring, which In Touch Weekly said Cannon had designed for 2.5 million U.S. dollars, Carey and Cannon signed autographs and cuddled together in front of fans and reporters.
Both Carey and Cannon said they were delighted with their newly married status.
"Vice nice," Mariah Carey said when asked by reporters how their new life together is. "Great," Cannon also said.
Many of her fans were delighted to see the happy couple.
"They were so lovey-dovey together, holding hands together. I am jealous she's got someone ten years younger than her. But it's great seeing them together nevertheless," said Noriko Akiba, a 38-year-old Tokyo resident.
"She seemed very happy. I just got married myself too in November so I am glad to have seen her," added Eri Hira, a 25-year-old Japanese fan of Mariah Carey at the airport.
"Its sad. Nick and I are about the same age .. it could have been me," added 26-year-old Ryota Takeishi, disappointed to have his diva hitched.
Top-selling recording artist Mariah Carey and popular rap singer and actor Nick Cannon married on April 30th in the Bahamas, according to the MTV website.
The New York Post said earlier this month the pair wed in a secret ceremony in front of family and friends at Carey's house in Eleuthera, citing a source close to Carey.
Carey, 38, recently released the No. 1 single "Touch My Body" off her album "E=MC2," which also debuted on record charts as the best-selling album in mid-April. She has enjoyed tremendous success as a recording artist starting in 1990 with her self-titled debut album.
Cannon, 11 years younger than Carey, has acted on television and in films such as 2002's "Drumline" and
"Shall We Dance?" and he made his singing debut with a self-titled album in 2003 and followed up in 2006 with
The pair met when Cannon directed a video for her recent single, "Bye, Bye," and have been dating for several weeks, according to reports.
Carey was married previously to record executive Tommy Mottola, but they divorced in 1998. It is Cannon's first marriage.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None