- Title: FRANCE: British designer Alexander McQueen unveils his latest collection in Paris
- Date: 12th March 2009
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (MARCH 10, 2009) (REUTERS) BLACK, WHITE AND RED CHECK JACKET AND FIGURE-HUGGING SKIRT WITH UMBRELLA HAT AUDIENCE WATCHING BLACK AND WHITE HOUNDSTOOTH LAYER DRESS RED, BLACK AND WHITE STRAPLESS GOWN WITH HOOP SKIRT AND UMBRELLA HAT BLACK HAIR COAT AND HAT WITH CORSET BELT CLOSEUP OF MODEL'S FACE BLACK HOODED EVENING GOWN WITH RED INNER LINING RED AND BLACK FULL LENGTH PUFF-SKIRT DRESS WITH SHOULDER TIE BLOOM WHITE FEATHER DRESS WITH CAP AND TORSO ENCLOSURE AUDIENCE EMPTY CATWALK WITH BLACKENED JUNK PILE IN CENTRE VARIOUS OF MODEL PARADE FOR FINALE AUDIENCE APPLAUDING DESIGNER ALEXANDER MCQUEEN ON CATWALK
- Embargoed: 27th March 2009 12:00
- Location: France
- Country: France
- Topics: Fashion
- Reuters ID: LVAD0EDLATT531JBA8ZH3LXMJ3D0
- Story Text: Theatrical creations come from needle and thread of Alexander McQueen.
British designer Alexander McQueen displayed his latest collection on Tuesday night (March 10) with his famous sense of flair.
Models wearing bold creations in black white and red - wearing faces inspired by Japanese geisha - glided across his mirrored catwalk, in a path that circled a contrasting mound of rubbish in the centre of the room.
The geisha theme continued through the autumn/winter ready-to-wear show with umbrella hats that tilted to partially cover the faces of the models.
Integral to the McQueen culture is the juxtaposition between contrasting elements: fragility and strength, tradition and modernity and fluidity and severity.
Known for producing shows with both power and romance, his collections frequently push boundaries.
And evidence of London-born McQueen's history in theatrical tailoring was obvious.
Dramatic designs included hoop hemlines, a sparkling hooded gown and a white feather dress - none of which would have looked out of place in a stage production.
In less than 10 years McQueen became one of the most respected fashion designers in the world.
Alexander McQueen collections are now distributed in over 39 countries through 194 wholesale accounts including speciality shops and better department stores.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.