- Title: UNITED KINGDOM/FILE: Singer George Michael is being hospitalised for pneumonia
- Date: 25th November 2011
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (FILE-MAY 11, 2011) (REUTERS) (** BEWARE FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY **) EXTERIOR ROYAL OPERA HOUSE CLOSE UP GEORGE MICHAEL TOUR SIGN GEORGE MICHAEL WALKS INTO NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (English) SINGER GEORGE MICHAEL, ON SINGING WITH SYMPHONY ORCHESTRAS, SAYING "I had actually heard that Tony Bennett had done it recently and I thought what a lovely idea to actually go to various places around the world and play with those symphony orchestras. Originally I hoped to play almost entirely theatres and the places those symphony orchestras would normally play but it became fairly obvious that I was either going to have to play each one for two weeks, or I would not get to play to enough of my fans really." LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - OCTOBER 25, 2011) (REUTERS) MICHAEL WALKING PASSED REPORTERS BACKSTAGE MICHAEL INTERVIEWED (SOUNDBITE) (English) GEORGE MICHAEL, SINGER, SAYING "It's just recently turned into, really I can feel myself becoming a better singer every night, you know what I mean. So it's really what I wanted from this apart from everybody else. I want to kind of bring, choose songs that I can showcase my voice because then I've kind of given my fans both types of show. You know I did three years with a greatest hits thing and this is really about my voice." BERLIN, GERMANY (FILE - FEBRUARY 16, 2005) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) MICHAEL ARRIVING AT NEWS CONFERENCE AND WALKING TO PODIUM (**FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY**) (SOUNDBITE) (English) GEORGE MICHAEL, TALKING ABOUT MAKING OF HIS DOCUMENTARY, SAYING "Not explain myself for the last 15 years or so. I thought that one, my fans deserved to know what those songs were really about. And, it's almost as much for me as it is for them in terms of trying to make sense of the last 22 years." MICHAEL GREETING FANS AND SIGNING AUTOGRAPHS MICHAEL GETTING INTO CAR TO LEAVE
- Embargoed: 10th December 2011 12:00
- Location: United Kingdom
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVABA612Z8EHK74C499FBPUMDF5G
- Story Text: George Michael has postponed a series of concerts after falling ill with pneumonia, his website said on Wednesday (November 24).
The 48-year-old former Wham! frontman called off a planned gig in Vienna on Monday and another in Strasbourg on Wednesday, and now his Cardiff dates have been put on hold.
"With great regret, George Michael has been forced to postpone his November 26 and 27 shows in Cardiff, Wales, due to his ongoing illness.
"George was recently forced to postpone tour dates in Vienna and Strasbourg under doctor's orders after being diagnosed with pneumonia. He is currently receiving treatment," a statement read.
Michael, whose chart-topping hits as a solo artist include "Faith" and "Careless Whisper," also announced that an earlier cancellation, an October 26 concert at London's Royal Albert Hall, would be rescheduled for May 2, 2012.
Details of other postponed shows will follow.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None