- Title: USA: JOURNALISTS AWARDS
- Date: 17th November 2001
- Summary: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (NOVEMBER 20, 2001)(REUTERS) 1. SLV EXTERIOR OF WALDORF ASTORIA HOTEL AT NIGHT 0.04 2. HAV JOURNALISTS ATTENDING AWARDS DINNER IN GRAND BALLROOM 0.11 3. SCU (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) NBC NEWSCASTER TOM BROKAW CALLS FOR A MOMENT OF SILENCE FOR JOURNALISTS IN AFGHANISTAN , " So before we proceed I would like to ask you to join me in a moment of silence for our colleagues who were murdered on the road to Kabul yesterday , and our colleagues who were killed last week as they accompanied the Northern Alliance - a moment of silence, please." 0.33 4. WIDE OF ROOM 0.39 5. SMV (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) WOMAN ANNOUNCING PRESENTATION OF INTERNATIONAL PRESS FREEDOM AWARD TO REUTERS CAMERAMAN MAZEN DANA AND DANA WITH AWARD 0.58 6. WIDE OF ROOM APPLAUDING 1.00 7. SMV SOUNDBITE(ARABIC) MAZEN DANA SAYING "Ladies and Gentleman, colleagues, I am happy to be here and proud to receive this prestigious award from the Committee to Protect Journalists. It is the work of fourteen years of continuous sweat and soil." 1.20 HEBRON, WEST BANK (FILE) (REUTERS) 8. SCU BURNING TYRE ON FIRE IN WEST BANK WITH ISRAELI SOLDIERS TAKING COVER BEHIND WALL 1.23 9. SCU ISRAELI SOLDIER FIRING GUN 1.27 NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (NOVEMBER 20TH, 200) (REUTERS) 10. SCU SOUNDBITE (ARABIC) MAZEN DANA SAYING "It gives me strength that we know our colleagues around the world are supporting us in the quest for truth against those who seek to stifle it." 1.37 HEBRON, WEST BANK (FILE) (REUTERS) 11. SLV YOUTHS THROWING STONES 1.41 12. WIDE OF MILITARY VEHICLES DRIVING DOWN ROAD 1.45 13. WIDE OF ISRAEL SOLDIERS TRYING TO CONTROL GROUP OF SETTLERS AFTER SETTLER HITS MAZAN DANA, DANA BEING PUSHED ONTO FRONT OF CAR BY ISRAELI SOLDIERS 1.52 14. SLV MAZAN DANA BEING PUSHED BY ISRAELI SOLDIERS 1.58 15. MV JEERING SETTLERS 2.02 16. SCU MAZAN DANA WITH BLOODED FACE AND MOUTH 2.10 17. SLV ANOTHER JOURNALIST HELPING DANA DOWN STEPS 2.11 WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (NOVEMBER 17, 2001) (REUTERS) 18. WIDE OF DANA AT PRESS CONFERENCE 2.22 19. CUTAWAY TO MEDIA 2.24 20. SCU SOUNDBITE (English) MAZEN DANA, REUTERS CAMERAMAN SAYING "My motivation is when you have a message, you see, I want to carry it, carry it for all the people to see what is going on and you find people do not want you to continue to work. You have enough courage to continue to do it because you believe in it and you will raise your voice to show the world the conflict and we are not judging we are not part of it. Many many times they arrest me, they shoot me, in order to stop my career, but I will continue my career whatever will be the result of it you see. And I know it is dangerous, any minute I will be killed but I believe in it and I like it." 3.12 HEBRON, WEST BANK (FILE) (REUTERS) 21. SLV MAZEN DANA LYING ON GROUND AFTER BEING STRUCK BY RUBBER BULLET , THEN BEING CARRIED AWAY 3.23 22. SMV ISRAEL SOLDIERS FIRING BULLETS 3.29 23. SLV PALESTINIANS THROWING ROCKS BY SIDE OF BURNING TYRE 3.34 24. SLV PALESTINIAN YOUTHS WALKING PAST BURNING TYRE HOLDING CATAPULTS , THEN AIMING AND FIRING STONES 3.44 25. WIDE OF PALESTINIANS TURNING OVER BURNT OUT CAR 3.50 NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (NOVEMBER 20TH, 2001)(REUTERS) 26. SCU MAZEN DANA AWARD PLAQUE 4.01 27. WIDE OF AWARD CEREMONY WITH ARGENTIAN JOURNALIST HORACIO VERBITSKY RECEIVING AWARD 4.04 (SOURCE TO BE VERIFIED) 28. SMV HORACIO VERBITSKY SEATED AT COMPUTER 4.15 (UNKNOWN FILE/LOCATION) 29. SLV MILITARY VEHICLE DRIVING ALONG ROAD 4.18 30. SLV SOLDIERS WALKING ALONG ROAD 4.21 31. HAV PEOPLE RUNNING ALONG STREET 4.25 (SOURCE UNKNOWN) Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 2nd December 2001 12:00
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES/HEBRON, WEST BANK
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVAAY3V1VB79LVJK5MS9E587L0E1
- Story Text: Reuters cameraman Mazen Dana who covers the turbulent
Palestinian/Israeli conflict in Hebron, has been rewarded on
Tuesday by The Committee to Protect Journalists, for his
outstanding commitment to covering news in often hostile and
The Waldorf Astoria was host to the 11th Annual International
Freedom Awards on Tuesday (November 20), honoring four
exceptionally brave journalists from around the world.
The dinner was hosted by American newscaster Tom Brokaw,
who called for a moment of silence for the seven journalists
recently killed in the War against the Taliban in Afghanistan.
Cameraman Mazen Dana received an award for his courage
and independence after being shot and beaten numerous times in
the eight years he has worked tirelessly providing dramatic
news images for Reuters Television.
"Ladies and Gentleman, colleagues, I am happy to be here and
proud to receive this prestigious award from the Committee to
Protect Journalists. It is the work of 14 years of continuous
sweat and soil." "It gives me strength that we know our
colleagues around the world are supporting us in the quest for
truth against those who seek to stifle it.
The 39-year-old Dana said he is motivated by his desire
to show the world the conflict that has become a part of his
everyday life. Dana admits his could be killed covering the
conflict, but he says he will continue because
"I believe in it and I like it."
Dana is one of four journalists honored by the New-York
Based Committee to Protect Journalists, which fights to uphold
press freedoms worldwide. Other award winners included
Argentine investigative reporter Horacio Verbitsky, Geoff
Nyarotafrom the editor of Zimbabwe's only independent
newspaper and Chinese journalist Jiang Weiping , who has been
imprisoned in China for exposing high-level corruption scandals.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None