- Title: BELGIUM: JACKIE STEWART OF SCOTLAND WINS BELGIAN GRAND PRIX
- Date: 20th May 1973
- Summary: 1. GV PAN Start of race 0.13 2. LV Cars around bend 0.16 3. SV Car 6, Covert leading cars round bend, ZOOM into car 5 at 26 seconds 0.30 4. LV Car 6 along track 0.34 5. LV Car 10 along track 0.37 6. CU Cars around track including car 1, Fittipaldi at 41 secs 0.45 7. LV Cars over brow of hill 0.48 8. TV Leading cars past camera 0.54 9. GV Stewart crossing finish line 0.58 10. SV Stewart with flowers and trophy 1.02 Initials ES. 3.05 ES.3.19 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 4th June 1973 13:00
- Location: ZOLDER, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Reuters ID: LVA3A78X93XPVA2JWACOH3RPR863
- Story Text: Former world champion Jackie Stewart of Scotland had a brilliant win in the Belgian Formula One Grand Prix at Zolder on Sunday (May 20).
Stewart in a bright blue Tyrrel Ford led the 294 kilometre (182 mile) race from the 24th lap and finished more than half a minute ahead of his rivals.
Stewart's win, his second this season, brought him within seven points of reigning world champion Emerson Fittipaldi of Brazil, who could only manage third place on Sunday.
The Brazilian had engine trouble and he took the chequered flag at a snail's pace. Second place went to Stewart's teammate, Franceis Covert of France, who fought his way back from 10th place after he spun off the track while leading in the early stages.
The Grand Prix being held at Zolder for the first time, nearly did not take place at all. The newly laid out track broke up in patches during training on Friday (May 18).
In the race itself, the crumbling surface on two sharp corners caused at least eight drivers to crash off the road - but none of them were injured.
The first victim was Britain's Mike Hailwood whose Surtees skidded into the safety fence on lap five. The cars caught fire briefly but the former world champion was unhurt.
Only 11 of the 23 starters finished the 70 lap race.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None