- Title: THAILAND: LACQUZWARE FACTORY HELPS CHIENGMAI LOCAL INDUSTRY
- Date: 21st November 1972
- Summary: 1. Chengmai street acnes (23 shots) 7 ft 2. Sign 9 ft 3. GV workshop unit 13 ft 4. Craftsmen at work (8 shots) 27 ft 5. Japanese discussing design (3 shots) 33 ft 6. Printing on article (7 shots) 47 ft 7. Polishing finished article (10 shots) 72 ft 8. Display of goods (3 shots) 80 ft 9. GV INT shop with articles on display 83 ft Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 6th December 1972 12:00
- Location: CHIENGMAI, THAILAND
- Country: Thailand
- Reuters ID: LVADZNN868GA4HY90FTB7KFFOCZN
- Story Text: In the northern Thai town of Chengmai, a lacquerware factory is helping to further local industry while contributing to one of the country's most famous handicraft traditions.
The factory was established by 37-year-old artist Oyama Hachisaburo, a Japanese who has been living in Thailand for more than fifteen years. His motives for starting the factory were twofold - firstly as a means of promoting the areas art potential and secondly to establish himself as one of the country's foremost lacauerware manufacturers.
Mr. Rachisaburo trained his employees himself, concentrating on local labour with the boat knowledge of raw materials for the art of lacquerware manufacture.
Most of his pieces are small art objects used to decorate offices or homes. Each requires at least 16 coats of natural lacquer which is obtained from the local sorest.
Much of the designing is left to individual craftsman. The factory is noted for its lacquered bamboo spirals -- broad pieces of hard wood woven skilfully into spirals and mounted on a thin frame.
Chiengmai lacquerwar is rapidly becoming famous throughout Thailand and the demand from foreign tourists is increasing daily. The local townspeople are proud of their newest industry and already more designs have been put forward in the hope that the craft will being even more revenue.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None