- Title: UK: De Niro and Pacino together at last in 'Righteous Kill'
- Date: 15th September 2008
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (SEPTEMBER 14, 2008) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) 50 CENT, ABOUT WHETHER HE HAS REGRETS ABOUT HIS BID A YEAR AGO THAT WE WAS RETIRING FROM HIS SOLO CAREER IF KANYE WEST WENT TO NUMBER ONE INSTEAD OF HIM, SAYING: REPORTER: "A YEAR AGO, ALMOST TO THIS DAY YOU WERE BIDDING YOUR SOLO CAREER AGAINST KANYE WEST. DID YOU REGRET THAT?" "Absolutely not, you know we're in the UK right now and I still won here, I mean if you think about the UK... think about this right, I had to do whatever I had to do to drum up as much possible energy and excitement for the project so I mean we did a couple of 'Rolling Stones' together, we had appearances together, if we had actual issues with each other when we didn't like each other, we couldn't have made that happen..." REPORTER: ALL IN THE PAST NOW? ..."Yeah of course and I'll be Number 1 this time." PACINO SIGNING AUTOGRAPHS DENIRO SIGNING AUTOGRAPHS (SOUNDBITE) (English) AL PACINO, ABOUT THIS FILM NOT HAVING CLICHÃ‰S QUOTES LIKE 'THE GODFATHER' OR 'SCARFACE' SAYING: REPORTER: "IS IT A RELIEF THAT IN THIS FILM YOU'RE NOT GONNA GET ASKED TO QUOTE CERTAIN LINES FROM YOUR MOVIE?" "Well when I see Bob I usually say to someone 'Say hello to my little friend', I just made that up." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ROBERT DENIRO, ABOUT ANY QUOTABLE LINES IN THIS FILM, SAYING: "I don't know there might be one or two here, maybe I'm not sure but I wait and see I don't know.. REPORTER: CAN I ASK YOU WHAT THEY ARE?... No, I'm not gonna say them no..."
- Embargoed: 30th September 2008 13:00
- Reuters ID: LVAB2ATBEMY92UTVCBVK8BS9KW9S
- Story Text: They have starred together but barely shared the same scene for more than a few minutes -- now Pacino and DeNiro get close in 'Righteous Kill'.British fans went crazy on Sunday (September 14) when two screen legends descended upon London's Leicester Square for the premiere of their latest film 'Righteous Kill'.
The film tells the story of highly decorated NYPD Detectives Turk (De Niro) and Rooster (Pacino) facing a retirement for which neither of them are ready. Before they can hang up their badges, they are called to investigate the murder of a notorious pimp, who appears to have ties to a case they solved years before. With similarities to previous crimes, it becomes clear the detectives are looking for a serial killer - one who targets criminals who have fallen through the cracks of the judicial system.
After 'Godfather II' in which they shared no scenes at all, to 'Heat' in which they shared a few minutes, 'Righteous Kill' finally sees the pair together properly and their on-screen chemistry is undeniable: Said De Niro: "I wish we had had something even before 'Righteous Kill' but we didn't, we always talked about it, it's just not as easy to find something and get people around you to commit to it."
Added Pacino: "Whatever the rapport is Bob and I have in the picture, I don't understand how that happens but sometimes it just happens with an actor."
Joining the pair is Rapper 50 Cent who said it was an awesome experience, if not a little nerve-wracking:
"It was great, I was a little nervous to be honest with you, I mean their presence is really strongly felt even when we went through a scene right at the beginning with the entire cast, you could see the energy was a little different in the room because they were there."
A year ago almost to the day 50 Cent bid his solo career against fellow rapper Kanye West, if Kanye West was going to go to number one instead of him.
Well Kanye did go to number one , and now a year later, are there any regrets for 50 about the bet?
"Absolutely not, you know we're in the UK right now and I still won here, I mean if you think about the UK... think about this right, I had to do whatever I had to do to drum up as much possible energy and excitement for the project so I mean we did a couple of 'Rolling Stones' together, we had appearances together, if we had actual issues with each other when we didn't like each other, we couldn't have made that happen..." He added: ..."Yeah of course and the I'll be Number 1 this time."
Unlike 'Scarface' and 'The Godfather', 'Righteous Kill' lacks the kind of clichÃ©s quotes that have made Pacino and De Niro so famous, and that the pair is more often than not asked to reproduce. To both of them, it comes somewhat as a relief:
"Well when I see Bob I usually say to someone 'Say hello to my little friend', I just made that up" said Pacino.
Added De Niro
"I don't know there might be one or two here, maybe I'm not sure but I wait and see I don't know...."
"Righteous Kill" is already out in the United States.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None