- Title: FRANCE: "My Blueberry Nights" kicks off the 60th annual Cannes Film Festival
- Date: 17th May 2007
- Summary: THE JURY HEADED BY STEPHEN FREARS WALKING DOWN THE RED CARPET MODEL VICTORIA SILVSTED POSING FOR PHOTOS VARIOUS OF L'OREAL SPOKESWOMEN INCLUDING GONG LI AND ANDIE MACDOWELL, POSING FOR PHOTOS UNIDENTIFIED WOMAN ON RED CARPET PHOTOGRAPHER JULIETTE BINOCHE POSING FOR PHOTOS
- Embargoed: 1st June 2007 13:00
- Location: France
- Country: France
- Topics: Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVAEK1U1KYEODIYHDQT46KSI73A1
- Story Text: With pomp and ceremony, the 60th annual Cannes Film Festival officially commenced on Wednesday (May 16) with the world premiere of Wong Kar Wai's film, "My Blueberry Nights" - one of 22 movies in competition for the coveted Palme d'Or.
Starring in the film is Norah Jones, a Grammy-winning artist who at the age of 28 has sold tens of millions of albums. She appears alongside British heartthrob Jude Law in a story of losing and finding love set in New York and across the United States.
Law plays New York cafe owner Jeremy from Manchester, England, who tells Elizabeth that her boyfriend has been cheating on her and they gradually become soul mates.
Elizabeth embarks on a journey where she encounters a policeman who drowns his marital sorrows in whisky (David Strathairn), his wife (Rachel Weisz) and gambling addict (Natalie Portman).
The opening movie kicks off 11 hectic days of networking, deal making and partying among thousands of people from across the industry who descend on Cannes each year.
It is one of 22 competition films, but hundreds more, including major Hollywood productions, are screened and touted, luring the likes of Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Leonardo DiCaprio, Martin Scorsese and Sharon Stone to France's southern coast.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.