- Title: UK: Madonna hits red carpet for UK premiere of her directorial debut W.E.
- Date: 12th January 2012
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND (JANUARY 11, 2012) (REUTERS) NATALIE DORMER AND ANDREA RISEBOROUGH TALKING TO MEDIA ANDREA RISEBOROUGH BEING INTERVIEWED (SOUNDBITE) (English) RISEBOROUGH, WHO PLAYED THATCHER IN ''MARGARET THATCHER: THE LONG WALK TO FINCHLEY'', ASKED IF SHE'S SEEN THE IRON LADY AND WHAT SHE THINKS OF IT, SAYING: ''Yes I have, I have, and I think it is absolutely phenomenal. I think she is, just ..she's, totally, I don't even have words to say how brilliant she is.'' (SOUNDBITE) (English) D'ARCY, ASKED IF HE IS SUPRISED BY RUMOURS HIS CO-STAR IN CLOUD ATLAS HALLE BERRY IS ENGAGED SAYING: ''No, not at all, she was talking about him (Olivier Martinez) and she was obviously in love, so I am very happy for her.''
- Embargoed: 27th January 2012 12:00
- Location: United Kingdom
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: People
- Reuters ID: LVA94PVDHPFAO2FL2XIFPWB2CW0R
- Story Text: Despite her star status and years at the top tiers of the entertainment industry, Madonna admits re-inventing herself as a director was a nerve wracking experience.
Dressed in a black Jean Paul Gaultier dress and surrounded by an 11 person strong entourage, she stole the show at the UK premiere of W.E. in London on Wednesday night (January 11). Normally it's the cast of the film who get most attention, but then most movies are not made by Madonna. Famous as a singer and actress, W.E. is the Material Girl's directorial debut, and just like anyone starting a new job she was anxious to begin with: ''I was so nervous yes, I just saw all these big burly crew guys looking at me and I thought 'Oh God, now I have to win their respect' and yeah I was super nervous.'' Seems she needn't have worried as she was popular with her cast. James D'Arcy and Andrea Riseborough star as King Edward VIII and American divorcÃ©e Wallis Simpson in the romantic drama and both were full of praise for their mega famous boss. ''She was lovely, she was really sweet, she had a very very clear vision, very passionately put across to us and she was a good laugh while she did it,'' d'Arcy said. While Riseborough described her as 'extraordinary' and 'passionate'.
Two love stories are woven together in W.E., the real royal romance between Edward and Mrs Simpson and the fictional tangled love-life of a modern-day woman stuck in an unhappy relationship. Named after Mrs Simpson, Wally Winthrop, played by Abbie Cornish, becomes obsessed with her namesakes' love life and the sacrifices that she made in order to be with Edward. When asked about her opinion on love, Madonna said it's 'the most important thing in the world'.
Meanwhile, away from W.E., it seems actress Halle Berry has found the one. She is rumoured to be engaged to her actor boyfriend Olivier Martinez, James d'Arcy just worked with her on Cloud Atlas and said: ''She was obviously in love, so I am very happy for her.'' W.E. is out now in the US and opens across the UK and Ireland on Friday January 20.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None