- Title: SYRIA: UN SECRETARY-GENERAL WINDS UP MID-EAST TOUR ON OPTIMISTIC NOTE.
- Date: 27th November 1975
- Summary: 1. GV Waldheim and Assad talking 0.03 2. SV Assad 0.06 3. GV Waldheim and Assad 0.14 4. CUTAWAY TO Officials taking notes PAN TO Men talking 0.24 5. SV Waldheim seated in front of press 0.30 6. SV Newsman 0.32 7. SV Waldheim speaks 1.22 DR. WALDHEIM: "The talks took place in a constructive and frank atmosphere and I'm hopeful after these extensive talks that it will be possible to solve the problem. I intend now to make a full report of my talks in the Middle East to the Security Council which will meet in New York on Friday." S OF IN: "The talks took place .... S OF OUT: ... on Friday in New York." Initials (This film is serviced with parts of speech from Dr. Waldheim. A transcript follows.) Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 12th December 1975 12:00
- Location: DAMASCUS, SYRIA
- Country: Syria
- Reuters ID: LVA989ENF7QLZ5HZWUKF9K7EW5T2
- Story Text: United Nations Secretary-General, Kurt Waldheim expressed optimism about keeping UN observers in the Golan Heights following talks with Syrian President Hafez Al-Assad, on Thursday (27 November).
The mandate under which the UN Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF) patrols the area expires on Sunday, 30 November.
Dr. Waldheim gave his opinion after three and a half hours talks with the Syrian leader.
He said they discussed "practically all aspects of the Middle East issues", including the Palestine question.
Dr. Waldheim said he would be reporting to the Security Council on Friday (28 November) in New York.
His talks with President Assad came at the end of a six-day tour of the Middle East.
Meanwhile a UN spokesman said Israel had rejected Syrian conditions, carried by Dr. Waldheim, but agreed to a resumption of the Geneva conference -- without the PLO.
On his return to New York he stopped briefly in London for talks with Jordan's King Hussein.
SYNOPSIS: At the end of a six-day tour of the Middle East, United Nations Secretary-General Kurt Waldheim discussed with Syrian President Hafez Al-Azzad the important question of keeping UN observers in the Golan Heights.
The mandate under which the UN Disengagement Observer Force -- UNDOF -- patrols the area, expires on Sunday. Doctor Waldheim said later the two leaders discussed "practically all aspects of the Middle East issues". Before leaving Damascus, he gave a brief press interview.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None