- Title: JAPAN: UN SECRETARY GENERAL KOFI ANNAN ARRIVES IN TOKYO
- Date: 21st February 2004
- Summary: (W3) TOKYO, JAPAN (FEBRUARY 21, 2004) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. VARIOUS OF UNITED NATIONS SECRETARY GENERAL KOFI ANNAN IN THE ARRIVAL LOBBY OF TOKYO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT 0.11 2. SLV ANNAN LEAVING THE AIRPORT AND GETTING INTO A CAR 0.31 3. SLV CAR LEAVING 0.41 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 7th March 2004 12:00
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Reuters ID: LVAKOFBPB4AVJJIZEABUQ5LWBJS
- Story Text: U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan arrrives in Japan.
United Nation Secretary General Kofi Annan arrived
in Tokyo on Saturday (February 21) just as U.S. civilian
administrator in Iraq Paul Bremer echoed his assessment
that it was not feasible to hold elections in Iraq before
the June 30th deadline.
On an Arabic television channel Bremer said it would
not be possible to hold elections in Iraq for a year to 15
months for "technical reasons".
Annan, visiting Tokyo at the invitation of the Japanese
government, declined to comment upon arrival at the airport.
Annan's visit to Japan is seen by the Japanese media as
a diplomatic coup for Japanese Prime minister Junichiro
Koizumi as it will be seen to demonstrate that the dispatch
of the Self Defence Forces to Iraq was not simply an act of
kowtowing to the United States.
Annan will meet with Foreign Minister Yoriko Kawaguchi
on Sunday (February 22), the Emperor and Koizumi on Monday
(February 23) and speak to the Japanese parliament on
Tuesday (February 24).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None