- Title: KENYA: PRESIDENT MOI EFFECTIVELY RE-ELECTED TO OFFICE FOR A FIVE YEAR TERM.
- Date: 17th October 1979
- Summary: 1. SV Car arrives with Kenyan President Daniel Arap Moi at Attorney General's office in Nairobi 0.05 2. CU Placard carried by man "Nomination Day for Daniel Arap Moi" 0.08 3. MV President Moi acknowledges crowd 0.16 4. MCU Kenyan Vice President Mwai Kabaki announcing procedural nomination, with Supervisor of Elections Mr, Norman Montgomery congratulating President Moi (2 shots) 0.40 5. MV Crowd outside in street 0.45 6. MCU President Moi waving to crowd 0.56 7. SV President Moi waves to crowd from car 1.05 Initials BB/ Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 1st November 1979 12:00
- Location: NAIROBI, KENYA
- Country: Kenya
- Reuters ID: LVA9ASEVCBG1QUU154FV32EY4SU3
- Story Text: Kenyan President Daniel Arap Moi was effectively re-elected to office for five years on Tuesday (16 October) when he was declared the only candidate for the Presidential election due to be held in November.
SYNOPSIS: President Moi has served as President for just over a year following the death of Kenya's first President after independence, Jomo Kenyatta. The brief ceremony of nomination was held at the Attorney General's office in Nairobi in the presence of Vice President Mwai Kabaki and the Supervisor of Elections, Mr. Norman Montgomery. Under the constitution, President Moi will now be declared elected without further resort to the polls. He will officially take office the same day as the elections for one hundred and fifty eight seats of the National Assembly, on November the 8th.
During a short address, President Moi advised people to vote wisely in the elections and warned the eight hundred candidates to refrain from what he called character assassination and mud slinging during the campaign. About five million Kenyans are expected to go to the polls. Election day has been declared a public holiday. President Moi was also elected unopposed to the Presidency last year after the death of President kenyatta.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None