- Title: ITALY: PUBLIC SECTOR STRIKE CL???SES OFFICES, SCHOOLS AND UNIVERSITIES.
- Date: 24th November 1976
- Summary: 1. GV Post office building in Rome closed 0.06 2. GV Ministry of Finance building closed 0.10 3. CU ZOOM OUT FROM School building closed 0.21 4. GV Civil servants marching with banners (2 shots) 0.40 5. SV Postal workers marching PAN ACROSS TO banners (3 shots) 1.07 Initials BB/1840 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 9th December 1976 12:00
- Location: ROME, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Reuters ID: LVAEHZGE0UXGHBYM1UA5B7LIBQ0H
- Story Text: A 24-hour strike by public employees closed Italy's public offices, school, universities and post offices on Wednesday (24 November).
SYNOPSIS: San Sivestro, the largest post office in Rome -- closed.
So did the Ministry of Finance.
And this school in Italy's capital -- together with many other schools, universities and public offices all over the country. Hospitals laid on emergency services. The country's airports were closed for two hours in the morning and trains stopped for another two-hour period later in the day. The Trade Union Federation called the strike to spur progress in wage negotiations for two and a half million state employees.
Many of them demonstrated on the streets of Rome as well as other Italian cities, accusing the Government of stalling the talks. It was an angry protest. Other workers, from the private sector, organised an hour-long solidarity strike. While noisy marchers passed through streets, the Government officials met to discuss a proposal to block, for two years, the automatic wage increases to cover the rising cost of living for all employees in Italy earning more than eight million lire per year.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None