- Title: PERU: THE MAYOR'S OFFICE IN EL AGUSTINO BECOMES THE SCENE OF A MASS WEDDING
- Date: 4th January 1997
- Summary: EL AGUSTINO, PERU (JANUARY 4, 1996) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. SV COUPLES AND RELATIVES ARRIVING AT WEDDING PLACE (3 SHOTS) 0.18 2. TV/SV COUPLES REGISTERING FOR MARRIAGE (2 SHOTS) 0.30 3. CU BRIDE TO BE NURSING BABY 0.36 4. MCU COUPLES WAITING 0.44 5. MCU DELWYN FOWLER BARD SAYING HE IS GLAD TO BE ABLE TO GET MARRIED IN PERU WHERE EVERYONE CAN PARTICIPATE (ENGLISH) 0.52 6. CU HANDS 0.57 7. SV FOWLER WITH HIS BRIDE ESTHER RAMIREZ 1.02 8. MCU RAMIREZ ANSWERING TO QUESTION ABOUT ONGOING HOSTAGE CRISIS SAYS THERE WERE PEOPLE WHO WANTED TO CREATE CHANGES THROUGH VIOLENT MEANS, BUT THAT IS ONLY ONE PART OF PERU AND NOT EVERYONE IS BAD THAT AND LIFE GOES ON. (SPANISH) 1.25 9. SV OF RELATIVES OF THOSE MARRIED 1.30 10. CU DECORATIONS (2 SHOTS) 1.40 11. SV RAMIREZ' PARENTS AT WEDDING 1.45 12. LV SAN AGUSTINO NEIGHBOURHOOD PAN TO SV CEREMONY 1.55 13. MCU/SV OF COUPLES KISSING/ DANCING (4 SHOTS) 2.14 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 19th January 1997 12:00
- Location: EL AGUSTINO, PERU
- Country: LATIN AMERICA Peru
- Reuters ID: LVA9PU7FA96YMNZ37S1NSU3XQQSI
- Story Text: INTRO: As the hostage drama at the Japanese ambassador's residence entered it's 18th day, elsewhere in Lima life carried on as normal - particularly in the outer suburb of El Agustino.
At the same time every year, the mayor's office in El Agustino becomes the scene of a mass wedding celebration unmatched anywhere else in Peru. It has become a scheduled event, representing a chance for local residents who may already be living together, to make it official by becoming man and wife. Since it began in 1965, more than 15,000 couples have taken the plunge in this way -120 couples turned out for this particular wedding.
Age is no barrier. At Saturday's (January 4) ceremony a 73 year old man married his 71 year old sweetheart, while at the other end of then scale the youngest couple were a 22 year old man and his bride of 16.
Among those tying the knot were American Delwyn Fowler Bard and his long-time girlfriend Esther Ramirez. Ramirez was at pains to point out that the hostage crisis was not representative of daily life in Lima. "It's only a part of Peru. Not everyone here is bad" she said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None