- Title: IRAQ: A CAR BOMB BLAST STRIKES OFFICES OF U.S. APPOINTED LOCAL COUNCIL IN RAMADI
- Date: 19th November 2003
- Summary: (U4) RAMADI, 100 km WEST OF BAGHDAD (NOVEMBER 20, 2003) (REUTERS) 1. LV (NIGHT SHOT) MAN WALKING IN STREET OF RAMADI/SOUND OF SHOOTINGS 0.06 2. SLV PEOPLE STANDING BY A COLLAPSED BUILDING NEAR THE ATTACK SITE (4 SHOTS) 0.25 3. MCU INJURED MAN 0.32 4. SLV DAMAGED BUILDING 0.35 5. SV OLD IRAQI WOMAN SITTING OUTSIDE HER DAMAGED HOUSE 0.39 6. SLV/SV DAMAGED FURNITURE INSIDE THE HOUSE/ SHATTERED WINDOWSN(5 SHOTS) 1.03 7. SLV DAMAGE IN THE GARDEN OF THE HOUSE 1.08 8. SLV EXTERIOR OF THE OFFICES OF SHEIKH AMER ALI SULEIMAN 1.11 9. SV PEOPLE INSIDE THE TARGET HOUSE 1.15 10. SV/CU PICTURE OF AMER ALI SULEIMAN (2 SHOTS) 1.24 11. CU INJURED HAND OF SULEIMAN 1.28 12. MCU (Arabic) LEADER OF THE DULEIM TRIBE, AMER ALI SULEIMAN SAYING "I was sitting with my brother and my cousins when the explsion happened. I am slightly injured but one was killed". 1.45 13. SV INJURED SULEIMAN'S HAND 1.50 14. SV WRECKAGE OF CAR BOMB (2 SHOTS) 1.59 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 4th December 2003 12:00
- Location: RAMADI 100 km WEST OF BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Reuters ID: LVA48FTJEZ7YXWRYDM9TJIL0MC6C
- Story Text: A car bomb blast strikes offices of U.S. appointed
local council in Ramadi,Iraq.
Local officials said two people were killed and
seven were wounded in The blast in Ramadi,100 km West of
Baghdad, which took place around 10:30 p.m. (1930 GMT) ON
Wednesday (November 19) said witnesses in what appeared to
be a suicide attack.
Local residents said a car filled with explosives came
fast and the driver blew himself up inside the car.
The blast damaged buildings metres away from leader of
the Duleim tribe Sheikh Suleimans, offices and a number of
cars, while it shattered glass of the windows of Suleimans
Suleiman, who was in his offices at the time of the
blast was slightly injured in his arm.
"I was sitting with my brother and my cousins when the
explosion happened. I was slightly injured but
one was killed", said Sheikh Suleiman.
The Duleim tribe is one of the largest Sunni Muslim
tribes in Iraq.
Suleiman, a member of the city council, is close to the
Americans, and insurgents have threatened and targeted
Iraqis who work with the coalition.
A U.S. military spokeswoman confirmed there had been a
car bomb attack in Ramadi, 100 km (60 miles) west of
Baghdad, but gave no further details.
The strike was one of a string of attacks on targets
linked to the U.S.-led occupation in the flashpoint town of
after dark on Wednesday.
Ramadi is part of the so-called Sunni Triangle west and
north of Baghdad where resistance to the U.S.-led
occupation is strongest.
Attacks on U.S. soldiers and Iraqi targets seen as
linked to the occupying forces are common.
U.S. forces are planning to hand over security
responsibilities in the town to Iraqi police early next
year in a test case for transferring power to Iraqi
The latest bombing comes after string of attacks and
assassinations of politicians and community leaders who
have co-operated with the U.S.-led coalition.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None