- Title: IRAQ: SUICIDE BOMBING , MORTAR ATTACK AND SENIOR POLICE OFFICER ASSASSINATED
- Date: 26th June 2005
- Summary: (W2) MOSUL, IRAQ (JUNE 26, 2005) (REUTERS-ACCESS ALL) 1. VARIOUS OF DAMAGED POLICE HEADQUARTERS 0.14 2. SLV BLOOD ON BUILDING 0.20 3. SLV DAMAGED CIVILIAN CAR 0.26 4. WIDE OF INTERIOR OF DAMAGED POLICE OFFICES 0.32 5. SCU (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) POLICE OFFICER, COLONEL MUN'IM ABDUL ALLAH, SAYING : "At 0630 this morning (0230 GMT) a car bomb exploded at Al-Hadba Police headquarters. the explosion killed a number of our employees and wounded several others." 0.50 (BN04) SHOLA, BAGHDAD, IRAQ (JUNE 26 ,2005 ) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL ) 6. WIDE OF MOSQUE NEAR SITE WHERE MORTAR LANDED 0.56 7. WIDE OF HOUSES IN AREA WHERE THE MORTAR LANDED 1.01 8. SLV PEOPLE STANDING NEAR DAMAGED SHOP 1.09 9. SLV BROKEN WINDOW OF COFFEE SHOP WITH BLOOD ON FLOOR OF INTERIOR 1.18 10. SLV INTERIOR OF COFFEE SHOP WITH BLOOD ON FLOOR 1.26 11. SCU (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) EYEWITNESS, HAIDER DRAYEM, SAYING: "What happened is that a rocket fired from the highway direction and entered the barber shop, killing people who were inside and then landed at the coffee shop killing four and the 5th one was killed while he was walking in the street. And this is its remains." 1.47 12. CLOSE OF BLOOD ON STREET AND FLIES 1.59 13. SLV POLICEMAN INSPECTING SHELL UNDERNEATH TRUCK 2.05 (BN06) BAGHDAD, IRAQ (JUNE 26, 2005) (REUTERS-ACCESS ALL) 14. VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF BUILDING WHERE COLONEL RIYAD ABDELKAIM WAS KILLED/DOOR 2.12 15. CLOSE OF BULLET HOLE ON DOOR 2.23 16. SLV BOYS STANDING NEAR DOOR OF BUILDING 2.29 17. VARIOUS OF SHARDS OF BLOODIED GLASS ON STREET 2.35 18. SCU (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) SABAH ISMAEL, NEIGHBOUR, SAYING: "The car was Eiphia Kia. A thin man, a very thin man stepped out and started immediately to open fire on him (Colonel Riyadh Abdelkarim) and continued to fire. Then the car left and was about to overturn when it arrived at the corner." 2.50 19. WIDE OF SITE/ BUILDING OF ATTACK 2.58 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 11th July 2005 13:00
- Location: MOSUL AND BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Reuters ID: LVA4GNSCMJF58CUR0KHAPMXW5H97
- Story Text: Suicide bombing, mortar attack, and senior police
officer assassinated as violence continues in Iraq.
A suicide bomber drove at a district police
headquarters in the northern Iraqi city of Mosul on Sunday
(June 26), bringing down part of the building and killing
at least four officers, police said.
The death toll was likely to rise as rescuers were
still digging in the rubble of parts of the old, two-storey
building, a Reuters journalist at the scene said.
Hospital staff said at least one civilian was killed
and seven were wounded, though this figure too was likely
The blast struck the Bab al-Toob station in central
Mosul as people were beginning their working day about 7am.
The building sits in a busy market area, surrounded by
A police spokesman said the bomber drove his
explosives-laden vehicle, witnesses spoke of a pick-up
truck, through the market at the unfortified rear wall of
the police station, avoiding barriers and defences at the
The explosion shook the city, which has been wracked by fighting
tween mainly Sunni Arab insurgents and U.S. and
Iraqi forces supporting the Shi'ite-led government.
Five people were killed and seven wounded in a mortar
attack on a market in the mainly Shi'ite district of Shola
western Baghdad .
Iraqi police said that the the mortar landed near a
coffee shop and a Shi'ite mosque on the night of Friday
"What happened is that a rocket, fired from the highway
direction, entered the barber shop, killing people who were
inside and then landed at the coffee shop killing four and
the 5th one was killed while he was walking in the street.
And this is its remains," said eyewitness Haider Drayem.
A triple car bomb attack killed 18 people and wounded
48 in Shola on Wednesday (June 22). Al Qaeda claimed
responsibility for that attack.
The two months since a Shi'ite-led government was
formed have been accompanied by a heavy series of attacks
by rebels drawn mainly from the once dominant Sunni Arab
minority. More than 1,000 Iraqis have been killed along
with more than 120 U.S. troops.
Gunmen gunned down a senior police officer in eastern
Baghdad on Sunday (June 26), police said.
Colonel Riyad AbdelkKarim, deputy head of one of
Baghdad's main police department was assassinated by
unknown gunmen in vehicles as he left his house in the
Al-Mashtal neighbourhood of Baghdad on Sunday.
"The car was Eiphia Kia. A thin man, a very thin man
stepped out and started immediately to open fire on him and
continued to fire," said Sabah Ismael, who lives nearby.
Iraqi police and troops have become prime targets for
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None