- Title: SOUTH VIETNAM: SALCON: PRESIDENT DIEM BEGINS SECOND TERM OF OFFICE
- Date: 3rd May 1961
- Summary: 1. LS.Banners and people. 0.04 2. MLS.Girls. 0.07 3. MLS.Diem towards dais. 0.11 4. MS.Paratroopers. 0.13 5. MLS. AND LS. Diem addressing (2 shots) 0.19 6. MLS. VIP's clap. 0.22 7. MS.Girls. 0.23 8. MLS.Diem lighting a flame at memorial. 0.30 9. MS.Paratroopers. 0.31 10. MS.Wreath laying. 0.38 11. LS.Diem and memorial. 0.40 12. MS.Diem towards crowd. 0.43 13. CU.Ditto. 0.45 14. LS.Diem and crowd. 0.49 15. MS.Fly-past by Vietnamese Air Force. 0.52 16. MLS.Floats (2 shots) 1.04 17. MLS.Lion dance (2 shots) 1.11 Initials KJ/V/PB KJ/V/AHS/PB Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 18th May 1961 13:00
- Location: SALCON, SOUTH VIETNAM
- Country: Vietnam
- Reuters ID: LVA5NET4UWIKSRI4EHL17JSHDHBQ
- Story Text: President Ngo Dinh Diem of South Vietnam officially began his second term of office in Saigon, Apr 29, following his re-election by an overwhelming majority on Apr 9 despite reported attempts by terrorists to interfere with the voting.
Accompanied by the re-elected Vice-President and by Cabinet Ministers, President Diem went to the National Assembly building, where he took the oath of office on a specially erected dais draped in red and yellow silk, the national colours.
Addressing the crowds, the President said: "The many courageous votes cast for me are not so much a reason for personal satisfaction as a challenge to follow the difficult path of the national and historic struggle against underdevelopment and imperialism, especially Communist imperialism."
After his speech, President Diem lit a flame of remembrance and laid a wreath at the city's memorial dedicated to those who gave their lives in the fight for freedom.
To round off the day's ceremonies - a fly-past of Vietnamese Air Force planes and a procession of floats through the streets of Saigon.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None