- Title: UNITED KINGDOM: Young designers prepare collections for London Fashion Week
- Date: 21st September 2000
- Summary: LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM (SEPTEMBER 22, 2000) (REUTERS ) EXT EXTERIOR OF SOMERSET HOUSE SV BRITISH MODEL ERIN O'CONNOR HAVING HAIR AND MAKE-UP DONE SV O'CONNOR IN DRESS DESIGNED BY JULIEN MACDONALD CA PHOTOGRAPHERS SLV O'CONNOR POSING IN FOUNTAIN SV SOUNDBITE (English) JOHN WILSON, CHIEF EXECUTIVE OF THE BRITISH FASHION COUNCIL SAYING: "We pride ourselves in London on trying to encourage that new, young talent, primarily because we've got wonderful colleges here that are recognised to be the best in the world, so we're producing great young talent which comes forward. We also have taken a conscious decision that we will give the designers the opportunity to get on the catwalk earlier than they would do in some of the other major capitals. We also try, because of all the sponsorship arrangements that we've got, to make it a bit cheaper for them to be able to show here, and give them the opportunity to get out into the big wide world. So I think all those reasons are why perhaps we are more well-known for that creativity, that "young start" that the others don't have." MV DESIGNER EMMA COOK IN HER STUDIO WITH A MODEL WEARING AN OUTFIT FROM HER COLLECTION SV SOUNDBITE (English) COOK SAYING: "I'm a bit too nervous and stressed at the moment to be excited -- I'll be excited once it's all finished and out of the way...I kind of enjoy all of it -- doing what you want to do every day I suppose, and there are a... MV ASSISTANT PAINTING SHOE
- Embargoed: 6th October 2000 13:00
- Location: LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Business,Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVAB8CEIIX4HLUZSRD7RWUJPN0GM
- Story Text: A fresh crop of young designers have been putting the finishing touches to their collections in preparation for London Fashion Week, which kicks off on Saturday (September 23).
This season, more names than ever before are making their catwalk debut on the official schedule of London Fashion Week, including Polish designer Arkadius and winner of this year's "VS Sassoon Cutting Edge Talent Award", Emma Cook.
At the launch in the grounds of Somerset House in London, the British Fashion Council Chief Executive John Wilson, said that London prides itself on trying to encourage new, young talent.
A major factor in the creation of this talent is London's fashion colleges, according to Wilson, as well as the encouragement of the British Fashion Council.
"We have taken a conscious decision that we will give the designers help to get on to the catwalk earlier than they would do in some of the other major capitals."
The launch featured British fashion model Erin O'Connor wearing a dress by Julien MacDonald, one of the hottest names on this year's catwalk schedule.
Twenty-five year old Emma Cook was nervous at the prospect of her first show at London Fashion Week. "I'm a bit too nervous and stressed at the moment to be excited" she said, "I'll be excited once it's all finished and out of the way".
Arkadius Weremczuk showed off-schedule at last season's London Fashion Week and has hosted fashion shows in several countries this year.
"I very much view myself as a global designer and don't want to be viewed only as an up-and-coming British fashion designer" he said.
"I am proud to be here, I am very happy part of the London cutting-edge party of designers. But on the other hand I want to expand and I very much have in mind the global market -- Japan, America, Brazil, Russia -- all the countries. I think that's more exciting than only having my clothes sold in a few boutiques in London".
London Fashion Week runs from Saturday (September 23) to Wednesday (September 27).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None