- Title: LEBANON: PREMIER-DESIGNATE SAEB SALEM SPEAKS OF HIS INTENTIONS
- Date: 4th October 1974
- Summary: 1. GV Ext. House 0.10 2. SV INT. Salam with pressmen 0.17 3. CU Cameraman 0.21 4. CU Salam speaks 1.42 SALAM: I have been asked by the President of the Republic to form a new government for Lebanon. I am especially charged, not only with forming a cabinet, but with the responsibility of carrying out the formation and the activities of government. Lebanon is in dire need of a really firm government....of devotion in power. Lebanon and its people live with love and on love and I am used to this....my confidence for the Lebanese people and the love I have for them and the love they have for me. I do hop sincerely that we can all co-operate in serving the Lebanon....the interests of the Lebanon which are diverse....and very difficult indeed nowadays....and the interest of the Arabs and the Arab peoples, the Arab countries, our brothers and our friends in the world, depending on the friendships which Lebanon seeks from all the peoples of the world. Initials OS/2038 OS 2/2042 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 19th October 1974 13:00
- Location: LEBANON, BEIRUT
- Country: Lebanon
- Reuters ID: LVAADLGX65ZHHQJS2FNOZM1K8B07
- Story Text: Lebanese Premier-designate Saeb Salam has begun talks with political leaders in Beirut on forming a new cabinet. Mr. Salam was asked to form a government by President Suleiman Franjieh after the resignation of the former administration more than a week ago.
This will be Mr. Salam's fifth term in office and he is known in Lebanon as a tough and determined Moslem politician.
He takes over at a time whwen Lebanon is undergoing a period of political uncertainty as well as economic difficulty, and Mr. Salam is likely to face difficulty in choosing a cabinet from the many party blecs which exist in the country. But he has accepted the task, and yesterday (Thursday, October 3) he spoks of his intentions.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None