- Title: NIGERIA: Nigeria's ruling PDP party kicks off campaigns for April elections
- Date: 30th January 2007
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (English) UMAR YAR' ADUA, NIGERIAN PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE, SAYING: "In April 2007 Nigerians will go to the polls to make a choice, there's no mistake about it we have a choice to make, either to choose to remain on this good path that has been built so that Nigeria can achieve greatness or choose backwards."
- Embargoed: 14th February 2007 12:00
- Location: Nigeria
- Country: Nigeria
- Topics: Domestic Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA6YPF7FQ6H0A7NCPY2B3XXAU44
- Story Text: Nigeria's ruling party, the People's Democratic Party (PDP), has started serious campaigning ahead of elections in April. The reclusive governor of Katsina state in the north has emerged as the party's presidential candidate.
Nigeria's ruling People Democratic Party (PDP) launched its presidential campaign on Saturday (January 27) in the country's commercial capital - Lagos.
Addressing thousands of cheering supporters, PDP presidential candidate Umar Yar' Adua pledged to consolidate economic reforms, and carry on with President Obasanjo's program in placing Nigeria on the part of greatness.
"In April 2007 Nigerians will go to the pools to make a choice, there's no mistake about it, we have a choice to make, either to choose to remain on this good path that has been built so that Nigeria can achieve greatness or choose backwards," Ya' Adua said.
PDP which has ruled Africa's most populous nation and top oil producer since 1999 brought thousands of supporters across the country to cheer Yar' Adua, the reclusive governor of Katsina state.
As the PDP candidate, Yar' Adua is the front runner to succeed President Obasanjo after April elections which should mark the first democratic handover from one civilian president to another in Nigeria history.
Yar' Adua emerged as the party's candidate in controversial circumstances. Unlike other states governors who publicised their ambition years in advance Yar'Adua gave no sign he was interested in running until a few weeks before the PDP primaries when it was clear President Obasanjo had picked him.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None