- Title: NIGERIA: SOCCER/FOOTBALL - Rio Ferdinand honoured before street soccer kickoff
- Date: 10th June 2008
- Summary: FERDINAND POSES WITH GOVERNOR AND OTHERS
- Embargoed: 25th June 2008 13:00
- Location: Nigeria
- Country: Nigeria
- Topics: Sports
- Reuters ID: LVAC6OZ6FYXUDKU246Z1S4D4LM9O
- Story Text: Manchester United and England international soccer star Rio Ferdinand received an honourary chieftaincy title on Saturday (June 7) from a Nigerian traditional ruler, Oba Riwanu Akiolu of Lagos, after arriving in the west African country to launch a street soccer tournament.
United captain Ferdinand was presented with wooden beads and a hat, the traditional decorations of a chief, in the ruler's palace.
Following the ceremony Ferdinand, who last month helped Manchester United defeat Chelsea in the final of the Champions League, took part in a demonstration match as part of the opening of the five-a-side tournament.
Thousands of players between 16 and 18 years old will be competing in knock out competitions across 57 venues during the tournament, aimed at nurturing young talent and at boosting the confidence of youngsters living rough in the region.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains identifiable children: users must ensure that they comply with local laws and regulations governing the publishing of this material.