- Title: NIGERIA: Explosion sparks blaze at fireworks warehouse in Lagos
- Date: 26th December 2012
- Summary: LAGOS, NIGERIA (DECEMBER 26, 2012) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SPECTATORS GATHERING NEXT TO BUILDINGS DESTROYED BY FIRE VARIOUS OF BUILDINGS AND CARS DESTROYED BY FIRE / SMOKE BILLOWING FIRE TRUCK DRIVING PAST CROWD VARIOUS OF RESCUE PERSONNEL ON BLAST SITE / SMOKE BILLOWING FROM DESTROYED BUILDINGS
- Embargoed: 10th January 2013 12:00
- Location: Nigeria
- Country: Nigeria
- Topics: Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA1HJELJR2TZIH2BVSAOUMW6UZP
- Story Text: A powerful explosion at a fireworks warehouse in Lagos on Wednesday (December 26) destroyed several buildings and sent residents fleeing for their lives.
Residents in Nigeria's commercial hub were caught by surprise when a fireworks explosion ripped through several buildings, killing a young boy and injuring many others.
The explosion also badly damaged the popular Idumota market, known as the country's largest market, which sells commodities to Nigerians all over the country.
Shop owners said they were caught off-guard by the explosion and escaped before the buildings were destroyed. Some of them returned to the blast site trying to salvage whatever goods they could.
The Nigerian police had recently banned the use of some types of fireworks in Lagos during the Christmas and New Year celebrations.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None