- Title: NIGERIA: Rising child star Ozzybosco making waves in Nigerias music scene.
- Date: 27th December 2013
- Summary: VARIOUS OF OZZYBOSCO AND SIBLINGS DANCING IN THE SITTING ROOM OZZYBOSCO'S MOTHER LOOKING ON OZZYBOSCO'S SIBLINGS DANCING
- Embargoed: 11th January 2014 12:00
- Location: Nigeria
- Country: Nigeria
- Topics: Entertainment,People
- Reuters ID: LVA3MCEVDZ7FF0P2BCM4DAZBYXJ3
- Story Text: Ozzybosco, the latest child star sensation in Nigeria, has taken dance music by storm in the country. Known to thrill fans with his music and energetic dance moves, the child start has grown popular for his hits like 'superstar' among others.
Six year old, Oziomachukwu, goes by the stage name Ozzybosco wants to conquer the continent with his music and says he like to spend his free time making music.
So far he has released six singles and two videos in Nigeria.
The vivacious singer's love for music began when he was a baby; he liked to dance whenever he heard music playing.
Though his mother noticed his music abilities early, she did not do anything about it until he turned four.
Watching the television one evening in 2011, she saw an advert for a kids talent audition and decided to enrol him in the program.
Ozzybosco passed the auditions, and went on to win the "Best Entertainer" title of the show.
Since then, there has been no looking back for the wonder kid, who now has over fourteen awards.
"I am happy that I am inspiring other children and they love my music," he said.
Ozzybosco like to rehearse dance steps with his siblings who also help with the choreography.
He has performed at over one hundred events so far.
Ozzybosco's mother and manager, Ada Monye Mojekwu, says children in Nigeria hardly get the support they need to discover their talents and are usually forced to focus on academics instead.
"Ozzybosco right now is a motivator, is an icon for children, is going to open many doors. Primarily, he is going to open that barrier, you know there is a barrier in this part of the world, you know kids are not supposed to be seen or heard until they get bigger, but he is breaking that barrier so seriously that hey, allow them to be, find out exactly apart from academic pursuit, which is very good, he is the class captain, I don't know if you, you know saw that, you know, apart from school, you should allow a child to develop something that he has interest on, by the side because ultimately you don't know what is going to feed him tomorrow," said Mojekwu.
Ozzybosco's work has seen his do music collaborations with various popular Nigerian artistes.
The star's love for music began when he was barely three months old; according to his mum, Ozzybosco danced even to the sound of a passing airplane.
During the week, Ozzybosco goes to Chrisland school like other children his age, he has been able to maintain a balanced life with his music career and education.
Most of his classmates have watched his music videos and are happy for him.
"I have seen him sing and I have seen him dance, I like him," says six year old, Somia Iyeaimo.
"I like his song and I like superstar. (singing) I know I can be superstar, great superstar, superstar," addded Ferami Omolojo, another student.
The proud head teacher of his school says that extra care is given to pupils either in class or at the playground so as to know which area of development that should be given to a child.
Babajide Adeyeye the Chrisland deputy headmaster, says Ozzybosco has had a positive influence on his classmates.
"You find out that as individuals, they have their different talents, you know, and well, being here over the years, you find out that he has successfully discovered his hidden talent which I think has also helped other children in the class, you know, one way or the other, so maybe when they are acting or they have to be involved in play and all that. I think that has been quite wonderful," says Adeyeye.
Ozzybosco is also a brand ambassador for a beverage company in the country.
Right now he is working on an upcoming gig, where he will be performing alongside other Nigerian music stars at the Lagos state countdown to 2014.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.