- Title: MEXICO: Student is shot by police during peace march
- Date: 31st October 2010
- Summary: CIUDAD JUAREZ, MEXICO (OCTOBER 29, 2010) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF INJURED STUDENT LYING ON THE GROUND WITH SERIOUS WOUND TO HIS LOWER ABDOMEN PEOPLE CARRYING INJURED STUDENT AND PUTTING HIM INTO A CAR BULLET CARTRIDGE ON WINDOW SILL (NIGHT SHOTS) EXTERIOR OF UNIVERSITY BUILDING WHERE RALLY AND SHOOTING TOOK PLACE SIGN READS "THE GRINGOS PUPPET, US GOVERNMENT STOP THE MASSACRE STUDENTS AND CAMERAS AT RALLY (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) GERONIMO FONG UNIVERSITY STUDENT SAYING: "The Federal police shot five times at the rally participants, shooting a young man, Jose Dario Alvarez Dorrante, in the back. Our friend was inside the University grounds. The rally was a peaceful event and the police shot him in the back. This is a flagrant attack. We demand that they (the police) turn over the person responsible for the attack on our friend. The police need to leave Ciudad Juarez. The army troops need to leave and Felipe Calderon needs to step down as president. Here is proof that the war that Calderon is supposedly fighting against crime he is unleashing against the people. They came and attacked us because we are asking for peace because we are denouncing what is happening when everyone is afraid." VARIOUS OF POLICE UNIT OUTSIDE UNIVERSITY FENCE AT NIGHT VARIOUS OF CARDBOARD CUTOUT FIGURE PLACED AT SITE OF STUDENT SHOOTING HOLDING UP THE WORD "JUSTICE" VARIOUS OF STUDENTS AT RALLY
- Embargoed: 15th November 2010 12:00
- Location: Mexico
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Crime / Law Enforcement
- Reuters ID: LVA25YXM48NA9T4RS0SWYOKLOKPS
- Story Text: Eye witnesses attest to police shooting at unarmed students at peace march in Ciudad Juarez, injuring one who is listed in stable condition at the local hospital.
One student was seriously injured when police fired at a group of students at a peace rally Friday (October 29) in Ciudad Juarez.
The group of some fifty students had gathered to begin a three day peace rally on the grounds of Ciudad Juarez's university when witnesses say police opened fire.
"The Federal police shot five times at the rally participants, shooting a young man, Jose Dario Alvarez Dorrante, in the back," Geronimo Fong a student at the peace rally told the press. "Our friend was inside the University grounds. The rally was a peaceful event and the police shot him in the back."
"This is a flagrant attack. We demand that they (the police) turn over the person responsible for the attack on our friend."
The injured student was put in a car and rushed to the hospital by fellow rally participants where he is listed in stable condition.
The incident culminates a particularly violent and bloody week in Mexico, when gunmen shot and killed 14 people, including a 14-year-old girl, at a party in Ciudad Juarez and gunmen in Tijuana killed 14 people at a rehabilitation center in the city.
But the shootings underscore how killings have spread from the notoriously violent border region across the country.
The massacres have put renewed pressure on Calderon, who has vowed to beat back the cartels but is struggling to defend his strategy as the death toll from his drug war surges.
Almost 30,000 people have died in drug-related killings across Mexico over the past four years and more than 90 percent of the murders go unsolved, according to rights groups.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None