- Title: MEXICO: Colombian singer Shakira performs in Mexico
- Date: 17th May 2007
- Summary: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO (MAY 13, 2007) (REUTERS) PEOPLE LEAVING CONCERT (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) FAN JULIETA GARCIA SAYING: "I think it's a big honour for us because as a country we saw her grow. As a fan, it's very good and a compliment." FANS AFTER SHOW
- Embargoed: 1st June 2007 13:00
- Location: Mexico
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA21SN8CS6Z67ZD4IM7UJ8MHG0O
- Story Text: Mega-pop star Shakira kicked off a second round of concerts in Mexico as part of her Oral Fixation Tour with a marathon show on Sunday (May 13) in Mexico City.
Far from showing fatigue on the final stretch of an exhausting tour, Shakira poured out energy and affection for 50,000 fans at a nearly three-hour show.
The Colombian-born Shakira, who played numerous shows in Mexico at the beginning of the Oral Fixation Tour in 2006, thanked her Mexican fans.
"Mexico, I have a history with you that lasts many years and I thank you. I thank you with all my heart and affection. The only thing I can do tonight is give everything I have so you have a good time. Everything I have, everything, everything- Mexico, tonight I'm all yours," she said.
Now Shakira's tour moves on to smaller, provincial cities within Mexico that are often left off the superstar concert circuit.
As the happy, exhausted audience filed out of last night's performance, fan Julieta Garcia said Shakira's close relationship with Mexico is an honour.
"I think it's a big honour for us because as a country we saw her grow. As a fan, it's very good and a compliment," she said.
The 119 concerts performed on the Oral Fixation Tour have brought in some 2 million fans.
The tour ends June 9 with a show in Istanbul, Turkey, and Shakira has said she wants to take some time off from performing to concentrate on her family and other aspects of her career.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None