- Title: MEXICO: Independence day celebrations in Mexico city
- Date: 16th September 2007
- Summary: (W2) MEXICO CITY, MEXICO (SEPTEMBER 15, 2007) (GOVERNMENT TV) (SOUNDBITE) MEXICAN PRESIDENT FELIPE CALDERON SAYING: "Viva Hidalgo!" CROWD (W2) MEXICO CITY, MEXICO (SEPTEMBER 15, 2007) (GOVERNMENT TV): (SOUNDBITE) MEXICAN PRESIDENT FELIPE CALDERON SAYING: "Viva Morelos. Viva Josefa Ortiz de Dominguez!" CROWD (SOUNDBITE) MEXICAN PRESIDENT FELIPE CALDERON SAYING: "Viva Aldama!"
- Embargoed: 1st October 2007 13:00
- Location: Mexico
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment / Showbiz,Domestic Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA9EJU4QADYLZ62LG6YGGMT7WPP
- Story Text: Mexicans marked Independence day with celebrations and fireworks on Saturday (September 15).
Mexican President Felipe Calderon led the crowd gathered in the Zocalo, or main square with the "el grito" independence cry of "Viva Mexico! Later Calderon and his family watched a firework display from the National Palace balcony.
Artists entertained the crowd with a musical concert.
Followers of leftwing Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, who narrowly lost last year's presidential election, held a separate independence celebration.
The two rallies were closely monitored by police in case of clashes.
In 1810, national hero Miguel Hidalgo gave the first cry of independence from Spain.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None