GERMANY: Close to 2,000 Iranians in German exile demonstrate in Berlin to protest against presidential election outcomeRecord ID: 313609
- Title: GERMANY: Close to 2,000 Iranians in German exile demonstrate in Berlin to protest against presidential election outcome
- Date: 22nd June 2009
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (JUNE 21, 2009) (REUTERS) IRANIANS IN EXILE GATHERED AT BERLIN'S STUTTGARTER PLATZ SQUARE HOLDING BANNER READING IN GERMAN "SOLIDARITY WITH THE MOVEMENT IN IRAN" PROTESTER LOOKING ON PROTESTER WEARING WHITE SHEET WITH "BLOOD STAINS" HOLDING BANNER YOUNG WOMAN WEEPING MEN STANDING AROUND, ONE HOLDING PLACARD READING "TOGETHER FOR IRAN" PAN ACROSS CROWD AS MUSIC IS HEARD WOMAN PROTESTER HOLDING PLACARD AND WEEPING
- Reuters ID: LVABDACUKE1OFINVSYO4B0U9AV14
- Location: Germany
- Country: Germany
- Duration: 00:00:37
- Topics: International Relations
- Story Text: Close to 2,000 Iranians in German exile and their supporters have continued their protests against Iran's presidential election outcome with a march through Berlin on Sunday (June 21), according to police.
Carrying banners denouncing President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and his government, the demonstrators had gathered at Berlin's Stuttgarter Platz square before heading towards Kurfuerstendamm, one of the German capital's main shopping boulevards.
Sahand Zamani, who identified himself as a spokesman for Sunday's protest, said "we are here to make very clear that the west is not looking away and that we are not looking away."
"We want to make clear that the European governments have the duty to diplomatically pressure Iran into a peaceful step towards the protesters," Zamani said, adding "we will not stop."
Organisers said ahead of the demonstration they hoped to rally together some 3,000 supporters.
The week-long protests by Iranians in exile were held across cities in Germany.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:7th July 2009 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.