IRAN: Ahmadinejad supporters outside French and British embassies in Tehran protest against western involvement in Iran's affairsRecord ID: 313616
- Title: IRAN: Ahmadinejad supporters outside French and British embassies in Tehran protest against western involvement in Iran's affairs
- Date: 16th June 2009
- Summary: TEHRAN, IRAN (JUNE 15, 2009) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS MARCHING DOWN STREET CARRYING IRANIAN FLAG/CHANTING FRENCH AND EUROPEAN FLAGS PROTESTERS MARCHING DOWN STREET RIOT POLICE/HEAVILY VEILED WOMEN CARRYING IRANIAN FLAG/PROTESTER ADDRESSING CROWD USING MEGAPHONE (AUDIO) PEOPLE THROWING STONES AT EMBASSY/CHANTING: (Farsi) "Death to France" EXTERIOR OF FRENCH EMBASSY RIOT POLICE/AUDIO OF PROTESTERS CHANTING: "God is Great" VEILED WOMEN HOLDING AMERICAN FLAG IN FACE OF RIOT POLICE (SOUNDBITE) (Farsi) PROTESTER SAYING: "We say to all oppressive governments not to intervene in the future of our country. We will stand in their way with all our strength." PROTESTER THROWING TOMATO AT EMBASSY SQUASHED TOMATOES ON FLOOR CROWD OUTSIDE FRENCH EMBASSY PROTESTERS GATHERED OUTSIDE BRITISH EMBASSY RIOT POLICE OUTSIDE EMBASSY BRITISH EMBASSY IRANIAN FLAG PROTESTER CHANTING PROTESTERS HOLDING POSTERS READING: (English) "Down with USA... UK" RIOT POLICE VARIOUS OF HEAVILY VEILED WOMEN HOLDING CHANTING: "Death to England"/HOLDING POSTER READING: (English) "We know you cheater... down with England"/"Get Away England" (SOUNDBITE) (Farsi) PROTESTER SAYING: "We have gathered here to protest the hidden interference of the Brits and the world, who are trying to create chaos in our country." VARIOUS OF WOMEN DEMONSTRATORS VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS CHANTING SLOGANS
- Reuters ID: LVA4P2SCH12YAIXMEBX9K9HPI1CD
- Duration: 00:02:48
- Story Text: Iranian protesters gathered on Monday (June 15) outside the French and British embassies to protest against Western involvement in the affairs of the Islamic republic.
At the French embassy one protester said: "We say to all oppressive governments not to intervene in the future of our country. We will stand in their way with all our strength."
Outside the British embassy protesters chanted anti-U.S. and British slogans as they waved Iranian flags.
"We have gathered here to protest the hidden interference of the Brits and the world, who are trying to create chaos in our country," said a protester.
France, which has sharply criticised the presidential election on Friday (June 12), which returned incumbent Iranian president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to power, has backed Iranian opposition calls for an inquiry into the vote.
British Foreign Secretary David Miliband raised concerns on Monday over the implications of disputed presidential elections for Iran's engagement with the rest of the world, notably regarding its nuclear programme.
Tehran has seen the most widespread protests since Iran's 1979 Islamic Revolution, and residents in five other cities said people had taken to the streets to support election loser Mirhossein Mousavi.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:1st July 2009 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None