IRAN: Protests against Iranian Prtesident Mahmoud Ahmadinejad held in London and BrusselsRecord ID: 313714
- Title: IRAN: Protests against Iranian Prtesident Mahmoud Ahmadinejad held in London and Brussels
- Date: 15th June 2009
- Summary: LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM (JUNE 14, 2009) (REUTERS) DEMONSTRATORS VARIOUS POSTERS MAN LEADING CHANTING GROUP OF WOMEN CHANTING IRAN FLAG FLYING FROM EMBASSY POSTER CALLING IRANIAN LEADERS CRIMINALS VARIOUS PROTESTERS SOUNDBITE (English) UNIDENTIFIED PROTESTER, SAYING: "We want to find out what happened to our votes. That is the only thing people over here are demonstrating for and we want to see the truth. That's it." SOUNDBITE (English) UNIDENTIFIED PROTESTER, SAYING: "The candidates have the democratic right to say that they want to recalculate the votes but Khomeni just ended everything and they are beating people. That's why we are here. They are beating people who don't accept these results." CROWD OUTSIDE EMBASSY BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (JUNE 14, 2009) (REUTERS) EMBASSY AND POLICE PROTECTION IN FRONT OF IT. PROTESTERS SHOUTING SLOGANS PROTESTERS HOLDING A BANNER READING "WE WANT FREEDOM, JUSTICE, DEMOCRACY". WOMAN WITH A GREEN MASK OVER HER FACE HOLDING A PEACE OF PAPER READING "WHERE IS MY VOTE" MAN HOLDING A RED PAPER READING "NO TO STONING" MAN SURROUNDED BY A GROUP OF PEOPLE SHOUTING SLOGANS (SOUNDBITE) (English) NEDA MOHAMMADI (PROTESTER), SAYING: "We are not believing in this election. We are not believing that this people, I don't know, 30, 23 million that they voted for Ahmadinejad. I really doubt it. I'm here because of all the people who are suffering all years and years, more than 30 years." CARD READING "SAVE US. PLEASE SAVE IRANIAN PEOPLE. NO ISLAMIC REGIME." PROTESTER WEARING SLOGAN READING "NO TO FORCED VEIL" AND "A BAS LE REGIME ISLAMIQUE EN IRAN". CROWD HOLDING A MINUTE OF SILENCE WOMAN WITH IRANIAN FLAG PROTESTER PUTTING FLOWERS INTO THE GROUND WITH A PAPER READING: "SECULAR IRAN" AND "LA REELECTION EN IRAN". PEOPLE IN FRONT OF THE EMBASSY PUTTING RED ROSES WITH SLOGANS INTO THE GROUND
- Reuters ID: LVA1RUGYZI951792J3LIWOTSZSZJ
- Duration: 00:02:57
- Topics: International Relations
- Story Text: Disenchanted Iranians in the capitals of the United Kingdom and Belgium protested at the election result which kept Ahmadinejad in power.
A crowd of around 200 people gathered outside the Iranian embassy in London today to protest against the recent election result.
Among the banners in the crowd were ones accusing the Iranian government of voting irregularities. Also one blaming the UN for the election result.
Many in the crowd gathered outside the building in Prince's Gate, in Knightsbridge, London, had voted in the election from London. Having queued for a number of our they were keen to find out whether their vote had counted in Iran.
According to a police spokesperson the protest passed peacefully with no arrests.
One of the protesters, Neda Mohammadi told Reuters: "We are not believing in this election. We are not believing that this people, I don't know, 30, 23 million that they voted for Ahmadinejad. I really doubt it. I'm here because of all the people who are suffering all years and years, more than 30 years." She said.
An equal number of protesters turned out in Brussels to demonstrate in front of the Iranian embassy.
Some brandished placards reading; "Election coup d'Ã©tat, shame on you", "Where is my vote" and "No to electoral fraud".
The were also chanting "Down with the dictator", "Freedom in Iran" and "Ahmadi bye bye".
The protesters waved Iranian flags. Most were clad in green, the colour most associated with defeated candidate Mirhossein Mousavi.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:30th June 2009 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None