IRAN: Iranian students protest against Israeli attacks on Gaza at "Palestine Square"Record ID: 313796
- Title: IRAN: Iranian students protest against Israeli attacks on Gaza at "Palestine Square"
- Date: 31st December 2008
- Summary: TEHRAN, IRAN (DECEMBER 30, 2008) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS HOLDING PALESTINIAN FLAGS AND CHANTING 'DEATH TO ZIONISM' AT PALESTINE SQUARE VARIOUS OF VEILED FEMALE STUDENTS PROTESTING PROTEST IN PROGRESS AT PALESTINE SQUARE (SOUNDBITE) (Farsi) IRANIAN STUDENT, MEYSAM TIQTIZ SAYING: "Today we have come here to announce our unity with the oppressed people of Gaza." VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS WITH PALESTINIAN FLAGS VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS HOLDING PICTURES OF CASUALTIES IN GAZA CROWD CHANTING (SOUNDBITE) (Farsi) IRANIAN STUDENT, MOHAMMED KARGAR SAYING: "Some of the students of Tehran University today gathered here to express their hate against the occupying Zionist regime. We want the world to know that." VARIOUS OF WOMEN PROTESTING WIDE OF PROTEST PALESTINIAN FLAG ROLLED DOWN FROM MOSQUE PROTESTERS WAVING HUGE FLAG VARIOUS OF FLAG VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS SIGNING ON DECLARATION CONDEMNING ISRAEL'S ASSAULT PROTESTERS HOLDING GIANT PALESTINIAN FLAG
- Reuters ID: LVAA5LGAKFHN3MWBHNRC7QNDTURD
- Duration: 00:02:28
- Topics: International Relations
- Story Text: Scores of Iranian students gather at Palestine Square in central Tehran to condemn Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip.
Scores of Iranian and foreign students gathered in Tehran's Palestine Square on Tuesday (December 30) to condemn Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip.
Protesters waved Palestinian flags and chanted anti-Israeli slogans.
The crowd demanded a stronger response from international organisations to stop Israel's raids on the Hamas-run enclave.
"Today we have come here to announce our unity with the oppressed people of Gaza," one of the students who attended the rally, Meysam Tiqtiz, said.
"Some of the students of Tehran University today gathered here to express their hate against the occupying Zionist regime. We want the world to know that," another protester, Mohammad Kargar, said.
Protesters rolled a huge Palestinian flag down from a mosque to demonstrators on the ground at Palestine Square, and signed on a declaration condemning Israel's actions.
Iran, which does not recognise Israel, has criticised some Arab states for not doing enough to stop military action by the Jewish state.
Israel, which accuses Iran of supplying Hamas Islamists with weapons, said the strikes which began on Saturday (December 27) were in response to almost daily rocket and mortar fire from the Gaza Strip.
Iran's top authority, Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has called on all Muslims to defend Palestinians in whatever way they can.
The Iranian demonstration was one of many protesters held across the Middle East and Europe to condemn Israel's assault on Gaza which has so far left more than 380 Palestinians dead, according to medical officials.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:15th January 2009 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None