- Title: VARIOUS: LATEST REACTIONS TO MASS SHOOTING IN JERUSALEM.
- Date: 23rd January 2002
- Summary: (W6) JERUSALEM (JANUARY 22, 2002) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. TV/PAN: AMBULANCES DRIVING TO SITE/ SOLDIERS RUNNING TOWARDS SCENE (2 SHOTS) 0.34 2. GV/MV/GV/PAN: POLICE AND SOLDIERS GUARDING SITE/ AMBULANCES AND SOLDIERS AT SITE/ AMBULANCES LEAVING WITH INJURED (6 SHOTS) 1.29 3. MV/PAN: WOUNDED BEING BROUGHT OUT OF AMBULANCE 1.43 4. MV/GV: PEOPLE INSIDE EMERGENCY ROOM/ WOUNDED BEING BROUGHT INTO EMERGENCY ROOM (2 SHOTS) 1.54 5. MV: WOUNDED YOUNG WOMAN ON HOSPITAL BED 2.02 6. GV: PARAMEDICS AND POLICE FORCE AT SHOOTING SITE (2 SHOTS) 2.13 7. MCU: (SOUNDBITE) (English) EYE WITNESS, DAVID MALKA, SAYING: "For (about) 30 minutes, some Arab come with a taxi, come outside (of the taxi) and with an M-16, small, (and began) shooting. After is shooting be like Chicago, everybody shoot." 2.37 8. MV: ISRAELI FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESMAN GIDEON MEIR SPEAKING IN FOYER 2.42 9. MCU: (SOUNDBITE) (English) ISRAELI FOREIGN MINISTER SPOKESMAN GIDEON MEIR SAYING: "Every terrorist attack which comes out from the Palestinian territories we hold as responsible the Palestinian Authority and their leader. Because he promised the American's administration, to world leaders, to the European leaders, that they will crack down (on) the terrorist organizations, as part of their agreement to the Tenant and Mitchell report; so if Arafat is not doing the job, which he is supposed to do, there is no choice for the government of Israel but to do it on its own." 3.11 (W6) GAZA (JANUARY 22, 2002) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 10. MV: HAMAS SPOKESMAN IN HIS GAZA OFFICE (2 SHOTS) 3.17 11. MCU: (SOUNDBITE) (English) ZAHAR SAYING: "This is not a straight thing. Hamas consider every inch of Palestine occupied from (19)48, or 67, as a Palestinian land. So it is our right to defend ourselves against the occupiers, and (defend) the whole Palestine." 3.34 (W7) RAMALLAH, WEST BANK (JANUARY 22, 2002) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 12. GV: SENIOR PALESTINIAN NEGOTIATOR, SAEB EREKAT, ENTERING OFFICE 3.38 13. MCU: (SOUNDBITE) (English) SENIOR PALESTINIAN NEGOTIATOR, SAEB EREKAT SPEAKING: "This morning the Israeli army had an incursion in Nablus. They entered an apartment. Died five young man, shot them at a very close range. And today actually we had nine funerals in the West Bank. (Israeli Prime Minister Ariel) Sharon's policies will continue to lead to more deaths, bullets will bring bullets. Violence will breed violence. And I believe, I don't know how many deaths we need from Palestinians and Israelis for Sharon to understand that this cannot be solved by the tanks, by the F-15s, the F-16s, by the incursions, by the assassinations or by the closure or the siege. This requires a political solution, and a political solution I believe the American administration must immediately despach General Zinni to the region, or to begin the implementation of the Mitchell recommendation." 4.21 (W6) JERUSALEM (JANUARY 22, 2002) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 14. GV.CU/MV: SCENE OF SHOOTING WITH BULLET HOLES IN GLASS WINDOWS/ CLOSE-UP OF BULLET HOLES/ GLASS ON FLOOR/ SHOPKEEPER SHOWS BULLET HOLES IN MANNEQION'S LEG (5 SHOTS) 4.54 15. MV: JERUSALEM MAYER EHUD OLMERT TALKING TO REPORTERS AT SITE 4.59 16. MCU: (SOUNDBITE) (English) JERUSALEM MAYOR, EHUD OLMERT SAYING: "This is a war. It is a painful war. We are set out to win this war and we will win this war but it will not be in a short time." 5.09 17. GV: SHOPS DAMAGED AT SHOOTING SITE 5.15 18. MV/GV: BODY OF PALESTINIAN ATTACKER WRAPPED WITH BLACK BAG IN AMBULANCE/ AMBULANCE WITH PALESTINIAN BODY DRIVING AWAY (2 SHOTS) 5.36 19. MCU/PAN: RIGHT WING EXTREMISTS HOLDING RALLY AT SITE OF SHOOTING/ EXTREMISTS CHANTING SLOGANS "DEATH TO ARABS" (2 SHOTS) 5.48 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 7th February 2002 12:00
- Location: JERUSALEM/ GAZA/ RAMALLAH, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Reuters ID: LVAAEQ32MUIJ7Y9DLXLB5BUP3Q6S
- Story Text: A Palestinian gunman has wounded at least 20 Israelis
in a shooting attack in central Jerusalem.
The shooting on Tuesday (January 22) came shortly after
Israeli troops killed four Palestinian militants and the
militant Palestinian group Hamas declared a battered truce
Eyewitnesses said a gunman got out of a taxi and began a
shooting spree that left at
least 20 Israelis injured.
The shooting spree occurred in a crowded Jerusalem street
and went on for just minutes before the gunman was shot dead.
Israel said it would respond appropriately.
The bloodshed dealt a new blow to U.S. -led hopes of ending
almost 16 months of
bloodshed and raised the spectre of a new spiral of
tit-for-tat violence spinning out
Israeli soldiers killed four members of the Hamas Islamic
movement in a pre-dawn raid
on an apartment building in the West Bank city of Nablus in a
sweep for militants after
discovering what it said was a bomb laboratory.
Hours later, the Palestinian gunman went on an evening
rush hour shooting spree.
It was the first major Palestinian attack in Jerusalem
since a double suicide bombing
killed 10 people on the nearby Ben Yeduha pedestrian street on
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None