- Title: GERMANY: POLITICS - Bavarians vote in traditional costumes for general election
- Date: 28th September 2009
- Summary: COOKS BARBECUING FISH FISH ON BARBECUE
- Embargoed: 13th October 2009 13:00
- Location: Germany
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Domestic Politics,Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVAEKPD9GIHTD6F5C8QE7J3GJTH
- Story Text: Germans in the southern state of Bavaria cast their ballots for the country's general election in traditional costumes on Sunday (September 27), wearing their typical lederhosen (leather trousers) and felt hats.
Members of the local "D'Fasbergler" traditional costume association arrived at the pub in Baiernrain, some 30 kilometres outside of Munich, to cast their ballots as townspeople celebrated their annual town festival nearby.
Germans began voting in an election that looks likely to return Chancellor Angela Merkel to power but may deny her the centre-right government she says is needed to revive Europe's largest economy.
Polling stations for Germany's 62 million eligible voters opened at 8 a.m. (0600 GMT) and first exit polls are due at 6 p.m. (1600 GMT), although it could take some time for the result to become clear.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None