- Title: GERMANY: Angela Merkel gets Spanish bank bailout through German parliament
- Date: 19th July 2012
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (JULY 19, 2012) (REUTERS) WIDE OF PLENARY INSIDE GERMAN LOWER HOUSE OF PARLIAMENT, THE BUNDESTAG VARIOUS OF GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA MERKEL TALKING TO GERMAN FINANCE MINISTER WOLFGANG SCHAEUBLE MPS WIDE OF PLENARY MERKEL TALKING TO MP OPPOSITION POLITICIANS
- Embargoed: 3rd August 2012 13:00
- Location: Germany
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA8HBN15G5D7SQ2UARLAEPVQSCP
- Story Text: The lower house of Germany's parliament on Thursday (July 19) resoundingly approved Berlin's contribution to a euro zone-wide aid package for Spain's banking sector .
The Bundestag backed the bailout by 473 votes, with 97 votes against and 13 abstentions - far more than the simple majority of the 583 members present that Chancellor Angela Merkel needed.
But Merkel fell short of a symbolically-important "chancellor majority" after 22 lawmakers from her own coalition voted against and one abstained. This was slightly fewer than the 26 coalition lawmakers who opposed the permanent bailout scheme and fiscal pact compact in parliament on June 29.
The outcome of the vote had been largely a foregone conclusion after the main opposition parties had signalled they would back the package.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None