- Title: ARGENTINA: THEME PARK DEVOTED TO WORLD CUP OPENS IN BUENOS AIRES.
- Date: 30th May 2002
- Summary: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA (MAY 30, 2002) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. PEOPLE ENTERING THE WORLD CUP THEME PARK 2. PROMOTERS AT THE DOOR WELCOMING THE PUBLIC 3. VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WATCHING AN EXHIBITION OF BALLS FROM ALL THE WORLD CUPS 4. SOCCER PLAYERS GUSTAVO AND GUILLERMO BARROS SCHELOTTO POSING FOR A PICTURE 5. CHILD RIDING A MECHANICAL SOCCER BALL 6. VARIOUS OF MECHANICAL GAME 7. PEOPLE WATCHING THE GAME 8. VARIOUS OF CHILD PLAYING SOCCER VIDEO GAME 9. VARIOUS OF GIRLS PLAYING A MUSICAL GAME 10. VARIOUS OF WORKERS PAINTING PEOPLE'S FACES WITH ARGENTINE COLORS 11. VARIOUS OF FANS WITH ARGENTINE COLORS IN MINI- SOCCER STADIUM 12. SHIRT AND HAT OF THE TEAM 13. VARIOUS OF RAFFLE OF A TRIP TO JAPAN 14. WINNER OF RAFFLE RECEIVING PRIZE 15. (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) RAFFLE WINNER OSCAR MAFIOLI SAYING: "The truth is that as one of the biggest fans of Argentina, I will be with all the fans that are in Japan - I understand there aren't many - but we'll be shouting as if we were millions." 16. VARIOUS OF YOUNG WOMEN PARADING DOWN A RUNWAY WITH SOCCER BALLS AND DRESSED IN SHIRTS OF THE DIFFERENT COUNTRIES PARTICIPATING IN THE WORLD CUP 17. ARGENTINE FANS IN THE BLEACHERS 18. YOUNG WOMAN WITH FLAG AND DRESSED IN THE ARGENTINE COLORS PARADING DOWN THE RUNWAY 19. YOUNG WOMEN WEARING THE UNIFORM OF THE TEAM WALKING DOWN THE RUNWAY AS IF THEY WERE ENTERING A STADIUM Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 14th June 2002 13:00
- Location: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- Country: Argentina
- Reuters ID: LVACL9UK5F892U0IRADI8KOVK597
- Story Text: To see the smiles, laughter, dancing and flag-waving
in Argentina's new park dedicated to World Cup gimmicks and
gadgets, it is hard to remember the country is suffering
through the worst economic crisis in its history.
As the World Cup in Japan and Korea get underway,
Argentines a world away can visit a downtown theme park
replete with soccer-related activities and entertainment.
The exhibition, which kicked off on Thursday (May 30),
will be open to the public from Tuesdays through Sundays each
While the area is filled with rides, games and displays
celebrating Argentina's participation in the international
tournament, the main attraction is a mini-stadium which can
hold 1,500 people. It boasts an enormous television screen
which will broadcast various World Cup games throughout the
The new park is also part museum, part arcade. One
sector is devoted to the history of soccer with a display of
balls and other items used in past World Cup competitions.
Another area highlights electronic, mechanical and
virtual reality games related to soccer.
One of Friday's main inaugural events was a raffle with a
grand prize of a trip to Japan to watch Argentina play.
Winner Oscar Mafioli couldn't stop beaming.
"The truth is that as one of the biggest fans of
Argentina, I will be with all the fans that are in Japan - I
understand there aren't many - but we'll be shouting as if we
were millions," he said.
But for all the Argentines staying home this year, the
new high-tech theme park will give them a place to make sure
they don't miss a moment of the action.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None