- Title: MAURITANIA: MOKTAR OULD DADDAH VOTED INTO THIRD FIVE-YEAR TEAM AS PRESIDENT.
- Date: 12th August 1971
- Summary: 1. GV & SV Crowds outside voting hall (2 shots) 0.08 2. SV PAN Minister of Education arrives 0.11 3. SV People queuing to enter voting hall (2 shots) 0.27 4. GTV People voting 0.37 5. MV Ould Daddah voting 0.45 6. GV People voting 0.51 Initials OS/2133 OS/2142 WE REFER YOU TO THE VISNEWS PROFILE OF PRESIDENT OULD DADDAH, ISSUED 4 AUGUST 1971, UNDER VISNEWS PRODUCTION NO. 8825/71. Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 27th August 1971 13:00
- Location: NOUAKCHOTT, MAURITANIA
- Country: Mauritania
- Reuters ID: LVAEAT9K22ZHCR2Y9OO2WPW1IQUX
- Story Text: Moktar Ould Daddah was voted into a third five-year term of office as President of Mauritania on Sunday (8 August). The 46-year-old leader won an overwhelming popular mandate, with 95 per cent of the vote. Some 511,000 of the 536,346 voters on the electoral rolls cast ballots.
The 50 candidates for the National Assembly, nominated by the ruling -- and only political party -- the Mauritanian People's Party, were also successful.
President Ould Daddah has been Mauritania's leader since 1961, and was first re-elected in 1966. A lawyer, he has been active in Mauritanian politics since before the country became independent from France in 1960.
SYNOPSIS: In Nouakchott on Sunday, thousands went to the polls to elect the president of the Republic and the fifty members of the National Assembly.
Most of the some five-hundred and forty-thousand voters on the electoral rolls cast their ballots -- giving President Moktar Ould Daddah an overwhelming popular mandate for his third five-year term in office. The forty-six -year-old leader won ninety-five per cent of the vote. The fifty candidates for the National Assembly were also successful.
President Daddah voted early and then retired to await the results. Following his election success, it is possible the???he many reshuffle his cabinet. He is expected to address the Assembly early next week.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None