- Title: USA: WRESTLING: Russians and Americans put on freestyle display in Times Square.
- Date: 9th June 2012
- Summary: FANS CHEERING
- Embargoed: 24th June 2012 13:00
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Topics: Sports
- Reuters ID: LVA7KWK4ML57M34HED665E1UXZZM
- Story Text: American Olympic freestyle wrestling squad throws down against Russian team in the "Grapple in the Apple."
A team of American Olympians edged a young Russian team of wrestlers in a freestyle exhibition in Times Square on Thursday (June 7).
The 'Grapple in the Apple' featured a U.S. team with four members heading to the London Olympics against a youthful Russian squad in a seven-round exhibition of the sport in the middle of New York City.
With the meet tied at 3-3, it came down to the final bout between the heavy-wights of the 120-kg weight where 2009 World bronze medalist and 2012 Olympian Tervel Dlagnev ended the drama quickly, pinning Eduard Bazrov of Russia in just 25 seconds of the first period.
It was the second straight year that a Team USA squad beat a Russian team in Times Square by a 4-3 margin, however this meet provided the Americans with an ideal pre-Olympic training experience against the world's top ranked wrestling program.
Also featured in the all-day exhibition were youth matchups, a women's bout, and the deciding U.S. Olympic trial for the 60-kg weight.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains identifiable children: users must ensure that they comply with local laws and regulations governing the publishing of this material.