- Title: UNITED KINGDOM: LONDON OLYMPICS 2012 - Crowds stream into Olympic Park
- Date: 6th August 2012
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (French) ROBERT, FRENCH FAN, SAYING: "It is marvellous. Very well organised, people are very kind, they are welcoming, we are very happy to be here."
- Embargoed: 21st August 2012 13:00
- Location: United Kingdom
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Sports
- Reuters ID: LVA6WHPNHNKJKQ4BBADH4BV77TPT
- Story Text: Visitors streamed in on Monday (August 6) morning to take their places in the Olympic Park's various venues, ready for a day of sporting action.
A day after Usain Bolt silenced the doubters with an emphatic victory in the 100 metres, Australia's Sally Pearson starts her bid to add the Olympic 100-metre hurdles title to her world crown, 800-metre world record holder and hot favourite David Rudisha of Kenya lines up in the heats while Russian pole vaulter Yelena Isinbayeva goes for a third straight women's Olympic title in the athletics night session as five golds are decided.
"It is marvellous. Very well organised, people are very kind, they are welcoming, we are very happy to be here," French visitor Robert told Reuters.
At the Veldodrome, Britain's Jason Kenny and triple world champion Gregory Bauge of France look set for a final showdown in the individual sprint. Laura Trott is hot favourite to win the women's omnium for the hosts and local darling Victoria Pendleton bids to qualify for the last four in the women's individual sprint.
Britain currently lie third in the medals table with 16 golds behind China (30) and the United States (28).
"Yeah, once we got into sitting down sports we've excelled, so yeah," Peter Elvidge joked, noting that eleven out of Great Britain's 16 golds so far had come in sports competed for in a sitting position - canoeing, cycling, rowing and yachting.
Mark, a visiting fan from Australia, was unfazed by his country's lack of gold medals - only one so far - and had nothing but praise for the Games.
"Yeah, it has been fantastic, London's really thrown a great show and they've been very friendly," he said.
In other events taking place on Monday, the final round of group matches will be played in the men's basketball including a top of Group A clash between the United States and Argentina.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.