- Title: BRAZIL: OLYMPICS 2016 - Brazil "breaking paradigms" with 2016 Olympics
- Date: 29th October 2012
- Summary: GENERAL OF RIO 2016 OLYMPIC AND PARALYMPIC LOGOS
- Embargoed: 13th November 2012 12:00
- Location: Brazil
- Country: Brazil
- Topics: Sports
- Reuters ID: LVA44BMYNR1A0P06AL8TVPPHLKOA
- Story Text: Brazil's Olympic Committee and the British company that will mastermind the design of the Rio Olympic village met in Rio on Monday (October 29) for a progress report on preparations for the 2016 Games.
Aecom, the British company tasked with designing the Rio village, was also behind London's Olympic park in Stratford.
Brazil's Olympic Committee President, Carlos Arthur Nuzman, said the Rio 2016 Games would be ground-breaking.
"The South American continent is breaking paradigms which were only broken in 1964, when Tokyo brought the Games to Asia for the first time, and after that we witnessed how Tokyo, Seoul, and Beijing transformed Asia in an extraordinary way," he said.
After London hosted what many considered one of the most successful and well organized Olympics in recent history, expectations are high for Rio.
Adam G. Williams, AECOM's Director of Planning and Design, said designing Olympic sites brought with it apprehension.
"Standing there (in London) was an incredible sense of achievement, because I have been working with this for six and seven years, if not longer with some of my team members. You sit with an amazing sense of achievement and pride you arrived at this point, but you also stand there with a huge element of fear and concern. You just don't know if it's going to work," he said.
Rio's Olympic village will be located in Barra da Tijuca, an upper middle class neighbourhood in the west side of the city.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.