- Title: ITALY: The Canadian men's Olympic ice hockey team arrive in Turin.
- Date: 14th February 2006
- Summary: TURIN, ITALY (FEBRUARY 14, 2006) SOURCE: REUTERS VARIOUS OF WAYNE GRETZKY AND HIS WIFE JANET JONES, AND CANADIAN ICE HOCKEY TEAM AT TURIN AIRPORT CLOSE UP OF WAYNE GRETZKY CLOSE UP OF TEAM CAPTAIN JOE SAKIC CLOSE UP OF HOCKEY PLAYER ROBIN REGEHR CLOSE UP OF HOCKEY PLAYER ROBERT BLAKE CLOSE UP OF HOCKEY PLAYER JOE THORNTON WIDE SHOT TEAM LEAVING WIDE SHOT OF TEAM BUS DRIVING AWAY
- Embargoed: 1st March 2006 12:00
- Location: Italy
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Sports
- Reuters ID: LVAB8UNWUNXM1JRXDB5MA5L4AJL6
- Story Text: The Canadian men's ice hockey team arrived in Turin on Tuesday (February 14).
Before departing from Toronto on Monday night (February 13), the team's executive director Wayne Gretzky deflected questions about illegal gambling and tried to turn the focus to the Canadian ice hockey team's quest for gold at the Turin Olympics.
Gretzky, who is also head coach and part-owner of the NHL's Phoenix Coyotes, has denied ever wagering on professional sports but his wife, actress Janet Jones, has been implicated as a heavy bettor with a ring indicted by U.S. authorities.
Canada can ill afford to let their minds wander given the high level of talent throughout a number of teams that will look to dethrone the champions.
Canada come into the men's ice hockey tournament as favourites to retain their Olympic title, but not without a spirited challenge from a handful of nations.
Canada won in Salt Lake City to end a 50-year golden drought, rekindling the hockey-mad nation's appetite for international competition.
Since then, Canadian squads have won two world championships and the World Cup of Hockey, heightening expectations that nothing short of victory will suffice when play begins on Wednesday and culminates with the final on February 26.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None