- Title: SPAIN: Ice party for zoo animals to relieve Spanish heat
- Date: 27th August 2009
- Summary: MADRID, SPAIN (AUGUST 21, 2009) (REUTERS) LEMUR AT THE MADRID'S ZOO / SUN SUN SHINING LEMUR RUNNING LEMURS EATING FROZEN FRUIT LEMUR EATING FRUIT LEMUR LOOKING LEMURS LICKING FROZEN FRUIT ZOO KEEPER MARIO ROMERILLO, FEEDING LEMURS LEMUR EATING FROZEN FRUIT TWO DIFFERENT KINDS OF LEMUR EATING AT THE SAME TIME LEMUR LOOKING AT THE CAMERA LEMUR EATING TWO LEMUR EATING FROZEN FRUIT CLOSE UP LEMUR LEMUR RUNNING OUT ROMERILLO PREPARING THE FROZEN FRUIT / ORANGUTANG WAITING TO BE FEED ORANGUTAN EATING FROZEN FRUIT ORANGUTAN EATING MONKEY JUMPING TO EAT FRUIT CLOSE UP MONKEY EATING FRUIT ORANGUTAN SUCKING FROZEN FRUIT CLOSE UP OF ORANGUTANG EYES ORANGUTAN EATING ORANGUTAN LICKING ICE FROM FENCE ORANGUTAN SWINGING AND EATING FROZEN FRUIT CHILD'S LOOKING TO BEARDS ROMERILLO FEEDING BEARS WITH FROZEN FRUITS BEAR EATING ROMERILLO THROWING FROZEN FRUIT TO BEARS CLOSE UP OF BEAR (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) ZOO KEEPER, MARIO ROMERILLO SAYING: "We try to relieve the animals in many different ways, with showers, lighter food and even ice cream." ELEPHANT CRUSHING ICE BLOCK ELEPHANT EATING ELEPHANTS EATING ELEPHANT CRUSHING ICE BLOCK ELEPHANT EATING
- Embargoed: 11th September 2009 13:00
- Location: Spain
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Environment / Natural World,Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVAET6OHZDKB8AM50E1096AIBP67
- Story Text: It is too hot to trot! Not only for humans in this year's hot summer in Spain. Animals at the Madrid Zoo must be refreshed as well.
Zookeepers had a special method to keep the animals comfortable and to make sure the zoo residents didn't overheat, especially the brown bears with their thick coats.
Turns out that not only humans like ice cream.
The most popular refreshments for lemurs and primates were blocks of ice containing fruit and vegetables.
Madrid's zookeeper, Mario Romerillo, said showers and frozen fruit are a regular treatment during the hot weather.
"We try to relieve the animals in many different ways, with showers, lighter food and even ice cream," he said.
Several Spanish regions in alert due to the extreme heat as temperatures in many places exceed 35 degrees Celsius (95 degrees Fahrenheit).
While the temperature continues to climb in Madrid, animals will be having a nice ice party of their own.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None