- Title: ALBANIA: Heavy snow as cold weather hits Albania killing one person
- Date: 15th January 2009
- Summary: KUKES, ALBANIA (JANUARY 13, 2009) (REUTERS) SNOW-COVERED HILLSIDE SNOW-COVERED ROAD AND TREES CAR DRIVING SLOWLY PAST SIGN READING ''WELCOME TO BLERIM'' TRACKING SHOT ALONG SNOW-COVERED ROAD FROM CAR VARIOUS OF SNOW PLOUGH CLEARING ROAD VARIOUS OF PEOPLE ATTACHING CHAINS TO CAR TYRE MAN CLEARING SNOW WITH SHOVEL
- Embargoed: 30th January 2009 12:00
- Location: Albania
- Country: Albania
- Topics: Disasters / Accidents / Natural catastrophes,Weather
- Reuters ID: LVAET5IGDB77QAG2G3HOGI5CHB9R
- Story Text: Extreme weather conditions in Albania cuts off remote villages and leave at least one person dead.
Heavy snowfall in Albania has created beautiful landscapes, but these harsh conditions left at least one person dead near the northeastern town of Kukes on Tuesday (January 13).
Kukes, in one of the poorest areas of Europe, lies about 250 kilometres from the Albanian capital Tirana, in the northern Albanian Alps.
One person is known to have died in recent days, due to the cold, and another is missing, presumed dead.
Icy roads are being cleared slowly but some remote villages are still cut off from food supplies and helicopters have been making emergency food drops for several days.
Reports of wolves venturing near the town of Kukes could not be confirmed, but local newspapers report one man killing a wolf in the area last week.
Some schools in the area remain closed and children have been making the most of their time off, playing in the snow using home-made sledges.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None