- Title: GERMANY: Snow squalls and high winds lash northern Germany.
- Date: 31st January 2010
- Summary: WISMAR, MECKLENBURG-VORPOMMERN, NORTHERN GERMANY (JANUARY 30, 2010) (REUTERS) FIREMEN TRYING TO FREE LORRY IN SNOWDRIFT VARIOUS OF FIREMEN STANDING AROUND FIRE ENGINE LORRY SEEN THROUGH SNOW VARIOUS OF FIREMEN DIGGING SNOW FROM UNDER FIRE ENGINE FIREMAN ATTACHING CABLE TO FIRE ENGINE FIRE ENGINE BEING TOWED THROUGH SNOW BY TRACTOR VARIOUS OF FOREMEN WATCHING TRUCK BEING TOWED VARIOUS OF SNOW PLOUGH CLEARING PATH FOR TRAFFIC WITH CARS FOLLOWING CLOSE BEHIND IN FRESHLY CLEARED PATH
- Embargoed: 15th February 2010 12:00
- Location: Germany
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Weather
- Reuters ID: LVA2O8CUKQB3ZZMNPVR2D6DL6RDP
- Story Text: Winter storm, Keziban, batters northern Germany . Winter-weary Germans are battling the latest snow storms.
Winter storm, 'Keziban' brought public transport to a halt in several northern German cities on Saturday (January 30) with even the rescuers needing rescuing.
The German Red Cross and other winter rescue services spent the whole day in action while car drivers faced delays for several hours as snowploughs tried to keep the roads clear.
Motorways were closed and as of midday authorities had recorded 77 weather-related accidents.
Rescue services said the fact that keziban struck on the weekend, probably reduced the number of accidents as many people were able to stay at home.
The largest city of Germany's northern state of Mecklenberg-Vorpommern ground to a halt as trams and buses were cancelled because of snow drifts on the track. Saturday evening weather services said the storms that were battering Rostock would start to lessen as the night wore on.
Those pedestrians that did venture out in Rostock dragged their children through the snow on sledges with some unable to withdraw money from ATMs because snow had frozen the automated doors together.
On Ruegen, the largest German island in the Baltic Sea, heavy snowfall and high winds closed the harbour and turned Putbus into a ghost town. Weather services reported that some 30 cm of snow had fallen.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None