- Title: GERMANY: Transport problems in Germany as winter weather worsens
- Date: 10th January 2010
- Summary: POLICE CAR MORE OF TRUCKS AND LORRIES
- Embargoed: 25th January 2010 12:00
- Location: Germany
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Weather
- Reuters ID: LVAALWJI7QU5LQ5LV29AV35DBBZP
- Story Text: More than 150 flights cancelled at Germany's largest airport as heavy snow continues to fall.
More than 150 flights were cancelled at Germany's largest airport on Saturday (January 9) as severe wintry weather continued to hit the country.
Despite dozens of snow ploughs working to clear the runways, the sub-zero temperatures and heavy snowfall forced airport authorities in Frankfurt to stop many flights from taking off. Visibility was very low at the airport as sine 5-10 centimetres of snow fell.
Passengers were left stranded inside the terminal building overnight and could be seen sleeping on benches.
On the roads, workers had been out in force overnight spreading road salt on the main highways. Nevertheless the wintry conditions led to a number of traffic accidents.
Weather experts warned travellers to leave allow extra time for journeys and be prepared for major delays on the roads, especially in central Germany.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None