- Title: TURKEY: Extreme weather causes disruption
- Date: 24th January 2010
- Summary: ISTANBUL, TURKEY (JANUARY 23, 2010) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CARS STUCK ON ROAD, HEAVY SNOWFALL SNOW CLEARING VEHICLE IN SNOW VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING UNDER SNOWFALL (SOUNDBITE) (Turkish) ISTANBUL RESIDENT, SERAP CONKER: "It is really cold inside our houses, we can not mange to get heated. We don't know what to do" VARIOUS OF SNOWFALL IN ISTANBUL
- Embargoed: 8th February 2010 12:00
- Location: Turkey
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Weather
- Reuters ID: LVA1JXLBFVIABV8H4634A7KNUCCD
- Story Text: State-run Anatolian agency said more than 30 houses had been flooded due to heavy rain in south-western Turkey. Emergency teams rescued hundreds of citizens trapped in their houses.
Road access to more than 550 villages has been blocked after heavy snowfall while temperatures dropped under -15 centigrade.
Local municipality workers were trying to keep the roads open despite the heavy snow fall.
More than 30 ships trying to pass the Bosporus strait anchored due to winds blowing up to 90 kilometres per hour. Bosphour strait which connects the black sea to the Mediterranean is temporarily closed for naval traffic.
In Istanbul 253 homeless citizens were being brought to shelters while the freezing weather claimed the lives of two men.
The heavy snowfall is expected to last until next week.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None