- Title: LATVIA: Bad weather causes black out in Latvia.
- Date: 16th January 2007
- Summary: VARIOUS OF TRAFFIC JAM VARIOUS OF CARS DRIVING THROUGH FLOODED STREETS TRAM STANDING IN FRONT OF FLOODED STREET VARIOUS OF CARS DRIVING THROUGH FLOODED STREETS
- Embargoed: 31st January 2007 12:00
- Location: Latvia
- Country: Latvia
- Topics: Disasters / Accidents / Natural catastrophes,Weather
- Reuters ID: LVACH8C0K2RDJ32OP6DET7H0JCXE
- Story Text: A storm in Latvia left between 35,000 and 50,000 households without electricity. A fierce storm that ripped through Latvia overnight from Sunday (January 14) has left between 35,000 to 50,000 households without electricity said Latvian power utility company Latvenergo.
The storm did considerable damage to Latvenergo's power grids in Latvia's western districts, severing power lines with strong winds and fallen trees.
On Monday (January 15) the fire and rescue service had to evacuated 39 people from flooded areas in Riga. The rescue workers also received about 130 phone calls from people who needed help disposing of fallen trees.
Several billboards were also knocked down during the storm and the water level in Daugava river and the channel in the centre of Riga increased to 214 centimetres above the norm.
Monday traffic in Riga grinded to a halt due to flooding on near a flyover, causing widespread disruption to commuters on their way to work.
The storm brought winds of up to 30-32 metres per second in coastal areas of Western Latvia. In Riga the winds reached 28 metres per second.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None